Homebrew Electronic Fluorescent Starter

Could a SIDAC be used instead of the standard mechanical glow bottle starter? I tried a K1200E sidac (120V breakover) with a 20W preheat ballast setup on 120VAC, but only the ends of the tube glowed (it "wants" to start though). Perhaps something needs the be added to the circuit or use a higher voltage SIDAC? I also tried two K1200E's in series to make a 240V SIDAC but that didn't do anything. TIA

Reply to
Ejohnson1486

no, they don't conduct for long enough.

I tried a K1200E sidac (120V breakover) with a 20W preheat

--

Bye.
   Jasen

you need the full sine wave for the reaction and also, i think you need more than 120 volts on most? I could be wrong there how ever. The idea is to heat the ends, while applying the voltage at the same time. The heaters should can be shut off once the tube is warm enough to keep it running with the HV>

Then you have the CCFL type.,...

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

why would you think it would work?

Should breakover and stay conducting in a standard glow tube starter replacement. It isn't "trying" to start it, it still needs to be disconnected from the circuit for the lamp to start.

The glow starters use a bimetallic strip that heats up in the presence of current then open after a TIME DELAY (they don't sense current) there's a bit of argon gas in the starter to keep the bimetallic switch open if the lamp is lighted - if not, the cycle repeats.

You'd have to duplicate that function to make a starter - dead short for a period of time, then open and stay open if current is flowing.

Something like a normally closed (rare) solid state relay might be hacked to work - at a much higher cost than a lamp starter.

Newsgroups
default