High MHz RF Transmitter

Hello,

It's been some years since I've done much with electronics. I'm researchin g a project right now that could have commercial application, however, RF t ransmitting beyond the radio station range of FM is new to me.

Can anybody point me to some good resources on RF electronics at higher fre quencies? For instance, in the 900MHz range I'd like to understand what's involved other than just buying a transmitter chip. Is it possible to make my own transmitter circuit or because of the higher frequency am I limited to commercially manufactured circuitry?

It's a bit much to bite off but that's how I like it. It's much more inter esting and challenging.

If anybody feels like explaining. Let's say I want to transmits 24 bits of data at 900MHz FSK. What would be each area of focus?

I write software, so it's been almost 20 years since I've done a lot with e lectronics, circuits, etc. Well, but only 10 years since I've programmed m icrocontrollers and done some basic PIC projects.

Thank you!

Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Get a copy of the ARRL Handbook (ARRL = Amateur Radio Relay League). Look on the ARRL website for their current book selection. If they're selling a copy of the "UHF/VHF Experimenter's Handbook", get it.

There are various technical and regulatory hurdles to overcome, but they're not insurmountable.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

ing a project right now that could have commercial application, however, RF transmitting beyond the radio station range of FM is new to me.

requencies? For instance, in the 900MHz range I'd like to understand what' s involved other than just buying a transmitter chip. Is it possible to ma ke my own transmitter circuit or because of the higher frequency am I limit ed to commercially manufactured circuitry?

eresting and challenging.

** Making your own UHF circuits is way outside the realm of *basic* electro nics and probably outside any forum on the net.

Take a look inside a cordless phone or other UHF transceiver for an idea w hat is required to meet modern specifications and legal regulations.

** That explains a lot about you.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison