Hi capacity rechargeable AA Batteries?

I see numerous offers for rechargeable AA batteries on Ebay. I bought a set of 4 advertised at 2500 maH, but turned out to be only about

400maH at a 330 mA load in my digital camera. The batteries powered the camera for about 1.2 hours at 330mA in the slide show mode, which amounted to only 0.330 * 1.2 = 396 maH.

What name brand batteries are best for high capacity?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

How are you charging them? If it's with the cells in series (common with many in-system and low cost chargers) then you might have one cell that had a much lower initial charge state than the rest. That one will never quite fully charge and so will deplete much sooner than its rated capacity.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Try these:

There's another one around, a Maha 2700mAh NiMH but data sheets seem to be unobtainium.

--
JF
Reply to

For all that I buy things from *b*y myself, I would hardly be surprised if the batteries were seconds, takeouts, old stock or the like. Some things are perhaps better bought from a real store.

I have had fairly good results with Lenmar NiMh batteries and their 8/15 minute smart charger (only throws on about 80% in that time, but still far better than 8-16 hour chargers, or dumb ones.) Bought a brick of 20

2500 mAh in 2007, have 12 that still work and 8 that are dead now. The pair of 2000 mah fast charge they threw in (the 8 min in the charger thing) also still work fine.

Of course, if your camera is not really set up to use NiMh effectively (ie, still built around the assumption that it will be fed alkalines) the fact that they start at 1.2 not 1.5 V may mean that it will crap out long before the battery is actually discharged, so it may not be a fair measure of capacity.

Ecnerwal

Good design practice for NiCd, NiMH, and dry cells is to design for discharge down to 0.9V or 1V per cell. Anything more would be lazy.

Oh wait -- consumer equipment. Good design practice.

Never mind.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

They probably are some 15 years old AA rebranded. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were 10 years old AAA repackaged. Someone did this with capacitors, transistors and other components.

Here are some examples.

If you buy cheap chinese cells, avoid BTY at any cost: they're not necessarily fake but their current values are blatant lies.

I was never disappointed by Energizer cells.

Reply to
asdf

I have had very good results with SoShine (genuine capacity, I have about 30 in different sizes some have done up to 400 cycles and I have had no failures - from deal extreme) and not so good results with Maxus (about 50% capacity), Ultrafire and Truefire (50% - 70%). ASDF makes a comment about BTY batteries. I couldn't agree more.

"Battery Thought You" are worthless. I bought 8 of the most economical "great for OEM" line. A couple leaked during their first charge, about

1/2 wouldn't charge at all and none of them had more than 10% of the advertised capacity. I'm not exaggerating - absolutely worthless. After charging they all went straight into the trash. I suspect they are just a way to export toxic waste.
Reply to
David Eather

That's what I bought (BTY) but the price was right. Got 4 for 63 cents. Thought about leaving negative feedback, but since the price was fair, I didn't leave any feedback.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Yes, the 2300maH energizer looks good. Digikey has them at $4.40 each. Part number N703-ND.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Bateries get there full caacity afer 5 charge/discharge cycles.

--
pim.
Reply to

--
Wrong...

I emailed them and got this back:

Not shabby...
Reply to
John Fields

I bought a set of four Maha batteries, they do not perform to spec, nowhere near claimed capacity, and I was using their fancy charger. No joy.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

aH

ra

ed

I just got a message from ebay requesting response to a survey about the recent (BTY) battery purchase. They wanted to know how I rated the sellor on a scale of 1-10, and my thoughts about the transaction, and if I would buy anything from the sellor again. I gave him a 5 and explained the batteries were worth the low price and I would buy from him again, but probably not BTY batteries. I didn't want to leave negative feedback, since the guy probably doesn't know what he is selling.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

I bought 2650 mA Duracell and when they started to get excessive self discharge I bought low self discharge (LSD) rechargeables (Sanyo eneloop HR3-UTGA). I'll rather have 1900 mAh "1500 times" than 2650 mAh "hundreds of times".

Bernhard

Reply to
Bernhard Kuemel

I'd spring for alkalines before I'd buy rechargeables on ebay.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've tried alkalines, and they don't last long for the limited use. Digital cameras need rechargeables, even if low capacity. I think the trick to buying anything on ebay is to notice the number of bids, and avoid stuff that nobody bids on.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:41:03 -0700 (PDT), Bill Bowden wrote as underneath my scribble :

Just a thaught - I found that the very high capacity NiMh rech. cells also have a really high self discharge rate which in my case made them far less useful than the normal (say 1300mAh) cells. AA Energiser 2500 were the worst I came across, hero to zero in about two weeks from memory - it was a couple of years ago, I binned them!. I found the Hybrio type cells a far more useful compromise despite the highter cost to buy, you cant get them in such high claimed capacity but you can get just over 2200 in Hybrio type cells and they are good, allow heavy discharge rates and self discharge at a very low rate when at rest. I baught 100 on Ebay, the label was EXTREME - made in unspecified, probably China! - no complaints! Charlie+

Reply to
Charlie+

I'm not sure.

I bought a set of 8 Duracell 2650maH nimh's, needing six for a shortwave radio. And they never seemed to have voltage when I needed them. I'd charge them, and either the radio would soon stop working, or I'd charge them and leave the radio unused, and they'd not be useable when I went to use the radio.

But then I measured the voltage after one charge (in a quickcharger) and the voltage was lower than I expected. Joined with the likelihood that the radio has some cutoff that isn't intended for non-alkaline batteries, and it's not really a surprise.

So when the light indicating charge came on in the quickcharger, I'd just unplug it and run it again, and doing that a few times (I'm not sure if a few were actually needed, I simply haven't checked) seemed to fix the problem. I'm getting much longer use out of those batteries and they don't immediately self-discharge if I don't use the radio.

The quickcharger seemed to be fine with lower current batteries, making me wonder if it's just not prepared for the higher capacity ones. But then I remember, I've also noticed the problem with some AAAs in the same charger. So perhaps the charger isn't as good as it should be.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Try these Sanyo batteries. They don't self discharge like most of the others.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 07:38:19 +1000, "Larry" wrote as underneath my scribble :

Eneloop = Same technology as Hybrio above just different manufacturer. Duracell have another version - cant remember what called but you can always spot them by their stonking great price in retail shops! These type of cells always come precharged whatever they are called so if they say they must be charged before use then they are the old technology. C+

Reply to
Charlie+