Help understanding N-Channel MOSFET body diode

Is there a rule of thumb stating how much power an N-Channel MOSFET's internal body diode (anode at source cathod at drain) can handle vs. the normal use drain to source power rating of the device?

Does this make sense?

I am using an Nch MOSFET to switch a load to ground in a battery operated project. The design does not allow me to place a rectifier diode in series with the load to prevent current flow through the body diode in the event of reverse battery connection. I was wondering if the battery was connected in reverse, would the load limit current enough to save the device? Unfortunately I never see the power rating (or forward voltage drop of this diode) published in manufactures data sheets so i have no way to tell.

Thank you in advance,

Ge0

Reply to
Gerbermultit00l