Help! Transformer-less powersupply

Could anybody help me on how to design a mosfet based powersupply, naturally, requiring no transformer....

Reply to
...Ad!

"...Ad!" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Well... Err...

Get a box, put a MOSFET in it, lead the mains power cord through it and you're done.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

And check your homeowners insurance policy very, very carefully...

;-)

Reply to
mrdarrett

Are you really sure that's what you mean ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What goes in, and what do you want to come out? It's most likely going to have an inductor, at the very least.

Reply to
kell

Sure. Go to Radio Shack and buy a mosfet, a 9V battery, and some epoxy. Stick the mosfet to the bottom of the battery with the epoxy. When the epoxy is dry, stand the battery up. Presto - a mosfet based powersupply.

Reply to
ehsjr

sounds like you're after a switching powersupply. I've got bad news for you they use transformers, only they are smaller ones operating at a higher frequency. that you are unaware of this is somewhat worrying ans is probably why you're getting so many unhelpful replies...

if you want to see how it's done pick your favourite MOSFET manufacturer and download some of their application notes... or you could go to Linear Technology's web site download LT-Spice/Switchercad III (circuit simulation software) and play with some of the sample circuits that comes with. Playing with these voltages in software is much safer too :)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I'll recommend Power Integration. They have a simple app that does 90% of the tricky work ( including transformer design ) for you. They also have a wealth of excellent application notes which should tell you everything you could ever reasonably wish to know about switching supplies.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Gee thanx!

I'd never got that piece of info, as mosfet stuff needs a transformer! Thanx folx for the help!

...Ad!

Jasen Betts wrote:

Reply to
...Ad!