Grounding between function generator and ADC

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with a generated signal from an HP function generator, and I believe the problem may be a grounding problem. Basically, I'm emitting a signal with an HP function generator and receiving that signal with a Nation Instruments 6070E DAQPad. The signal I'm sending out is a simple sine wave, , but for some reason, when the chirp is complete, the function generator does not output 0 volts, but instead there is some DC Offset. I called HP and they said that it might be a grounding problem.

Anyways, what is the correct and best way to ground my equipment together? The HP generator (HP33120A) includes a chassis ground BNC connector on the back of the unit, but I don't believe I need to use this. The DAQPad includes switches for each analog input to choose between a floating signal source or a ground-referenced signal source. I believe that the HP is a floating source generator, so these switches should be set to a floating signal source. Besides that, the DAQPad doesn't appear to have any connections for a chassis ground.

I believe that I'm connecting it the correct way, as there aren't very many options, but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything obvious here.

Thanks!

Reply to
jrenfree

Have you verified this on an oscilloscope? It might very well be normal, with the sine wave ending at some non-zero point.

NI DAQ cards have many different input configurations. You'll need Non-Referenced Single Ended mode.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones