Fishing Security Camera Wire Connectors Through A Wall

The power and coaxial connectors seem to be hanging up just below the attic. The wall has insulation in it but it may be the hole in the first cross piece between the studs is smaller than the attic hole.

Sometimes you can get around coaxial cable with just regular wire, at least for short distances in some situations. Is this true for HD security camera wire?

Will cutting the connectors off and soldering them back on once the wire is in the wall lower video quality very much?

Maybe even phone line wire for the wall leg might work.

The goal is to not do a lot of drilling.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

What are you using to do the fishing?

I got a fishing rod (electrician's, that is). It cost a lot less than hiring an electrician. In difficult situations I pull a string or a pilot wire through, and then use that to pull my "real" thing through. Creative use of electrical tape will make sure that you're not trying to pull your connectors sideways through a difficult situation.

You don't say WHAT you're pulling through, really, but if it's regular coax, and if you're competent, then you should be able to do at least as well as a run-of-the-mill pre-terminated cable.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

We used to use cordline with a weight of some kind on the end (Lead sinker piece of light weight chain etc). With that one can feel when the weight goes off the line, which indicates an obstruction. So if one is trying to get through a hole the weight can be jiggled up and down until it drops through. The modern "snake" makes life easier too.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

A reel of spring steel ~ 2mm X 5mm. Most ridiculous tool ever. You need a screwdriver to pry it open to get the wire out. It had already been used for this kind of work before. It already had some short stubs of wire taped to the hook at the end.

Nevertheless it actually worked and a long pulling wire is already in the wall ready to go.

The problem is the coax coupling hangs up in the same place both directions, pulling up or down.

Either the connectors get chopped off or a cable will be dangling from the ceiling. Or the burglars will just have to come indoors to get on video.

There are too many phone and power wires in the area to drill. That's why it might be a good idea to keep the coaxial wire.

The power and data cables are combined in one round cable that's about half the dia. of regular coax.

It is a nice and thin cable and would easily fit through the hole except the connectors are standard coax size.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Yep. I always pull a pilot cord thru. (And I have a full-fledged electrician's fishing tape... like 50' ;-)

Some insulation may knot up on you causing grief. I usually line up the pull cord and the coax with a single axis and apply packing tape to make it a smooth-ended (in more ways than one) event. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I didn't know there were electrician's fishing _rods_ until you mentioned. Looks like something I need to add to my repertoire.

...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That version got _really_ bad reviews on Amazon.... lots of breakage. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

I have this one...

but it doesn't do tight turns. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

A lot of people don't know how to use them. They try to pull them through tight bends, or to pull too much weight. Have you ever used the long, flexible Diversibits? You drill the hole, then use it to pull the wire with it, as you remove the bit. I've used up to 24' bit and extensions to go from a basement, to an attic. The sell wood or masonry bits, and extensions.

I have several, up to 100 feet which is the legal limit between pull boxes. I've had one since the early '70s, and it is in the round steel case

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

oxes. I've had one since the early '70s, and it is in the >round steel case "

That means mains wiring, this is all low voltage.

I think.

It almost has to be because you can't put signal wires in a conduit with po wer. Even phone wires. The noise is not their problem it is the possibility of an insidious short between hot and cold.

Personally, I would just bust out the walls where necessary, get a sheet of drywall and tell the olady to go get some paint. I always save the spare p aint, but then if it goes too long it is no good. So, were you tired of tha t color anyway ? If not you go down with a piece of the old wall and have i t computer color matched.

HA, one time I fished a wire up for a ceiling fan with a piece of conduit, but not everyone has that access. there had never been anything on that cei ling before. Now we got this other house and there is no possibility, the o nly way would be to rip up the floor upstairs and it is hardwood, and in ni ce condition. It is too much trouble to rip up the whole thing and trying t o just get a section out from the middle damages it no matter what you do, I have tried.

He might have some luck removing the baseboards if the obstruction is at fl oor level. But some idiots just slap the paint on the baseboards along with the walls. I don't, I leave the wood wood. If I ever had a tenant or whate ver paint my natural wood I would consider that grounds for execution.

Shit like this is why there are two electrician's unions here. Some only do commercial and others are forced to do residential. Residential is enough of a PITA and then we got calls from people who already had the walls in an d wanted the place wired. No wonder why the higher echelon electricians mos tly refuse to do residential.

Reply to
jurb6006

No one will deny women look better with paint all over them but I'm too classy for that. Especially since it's so easy to just cut the connectors off and then reattach them them later.

Maybe not even in a radially symmetric fashion.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Drywall repair is cheap and easy, comparatively. Often the most sensible approach to running wires in walls is to cut drywall, run wires, and patch drywall. Feel free to run a super-long drill bit through a power wire or gas/water/sewer line before believing that, though.

Ecnerwal

I have been reading this thread with a certain level of amusement. Thought I would chime in. I am a low voltage security alarm dealer. I have been doing it for over 27 years. Most of that time I have been working with Me, Myself and I. The three of us have been fishing wires in existing homes and buildings the whole time.

There is certain tools and tricks that are needed to do the job that eliminates or minimizes any drywall repairs being needed. If you don't know standard construction of buildings or are with out x-ray vision and having the ability to be at two places at the same time it is extremely challenging and better left to those that do.

Not saying I haven't had a bad moment or two, but, it comes with the job. It is a matter of having the ability to recover from a misplaced hole or three.

Enjoy your day and thanks for reading. :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Indeed ;-) Every home I've ever owned has had some bizarre extra piece of 2x4 or plywood right where I didn't expect or needed it.

My father was an electrician before TV repair and hardware stores later in life. As a young kid I went out with him on many a job where there was (at least) a mild amount of sailor talk ;-)

I tend to be a study-it-for-days kind of person before I then swiftly fix the problem.

Several weeks again I finished the wife's 3-tier jewelry drawer in the master closet. Been trying to find a path to easily get power to light that dark corner. Walking the floor plan I found a simple drill straight thru from one side of a wall to another... duplicate outlet... voila! ...Jim Thompson

I'm glad that we've provided you with some entertainment.

So far I haven't had troubles with fishing wires, but then, I try to stick to the baby stuff.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Do you know if the joint NECA committee figured out how to get big precious-metals dumping deals and off-shore accounts like their long-time counterparts in Europe and Japan? (I hear a little about that stuff in the classroom and on constr. sites)

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Plumbers have cameras at the front of snake lines. You can see what's in front and where the pipe is leading to. The image shows up on a laptop or mobile phone at the other end.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Just as tRUMP is destroying the GOP establishment by being associated with the GOP, Hillary is undermining the legacy media by being associated with them.

Hillary's marriage to the legacy media is following that of her marriage to Bill Clinton. After flattering her for 2 years the media now want the deranged woman gone. The only hope of that objective is to become increasingly cruel.

Hillary and tRUMP have a lot in common.

  1. they both are contemptuous of everyone associated with them and the feeling is mutual.

  1. they are both in a downward spiral of hate and insanity

  2. they are both working unwittingly to take out the oligarchy and their shills, the GOP est./legacy media, which are attached at the hip.
Reply to
Bret Cahill