Faraday's Law

zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

It will be interesting to see what everyone says.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Basically semantics about where the "winding" is. Note that he indicates

0.9V - (-0.1V) = 1V for the total loop voltage; Kirchoff isn't violated if the EMF is placed symbolically somewhere in the loop. Where doesn't matter, and in reality, it will be evenly distributed (of course, we don't have non-Laplacian fields, either, so there will be a nonzero amount in the voltmeter loops as well).

Calling it "nonintuitive" is silly. There is nothing nonintuitive about Maxwell's equations (at least until you start throwing nonlinear materials around). E&M is *easy*.

The people I really feel bad for are the people involved in any fluids: aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, hydraulics, etc. The Navier-Stokes equations can be linearly approximated in only a limited set of cases -- small Reynolds number. Any real, interesting and useful application is hopelessly difficult to analyze, and, until recently, was mostly confined to empirical data (this flow through this roughness of pipe requires so-and-so pressure drop) and trial-and-error experiments. They tried, what, hundreds of combustion chamber designs on the Saturn V rocket before they found one that didn't KATO? Nowadays, these systems can be simulated, at huge computational expense, still involving many turbulence and scale-related approximations to try to optimize the process, but the development of models is still largely dependent on the user.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Sometimes profs like to hype their lessons so the students don't drift off :-)

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I love Walter Lewin lectures, There's a nice series on vibration, (3rd year mechanics?) on the MIT video website.

It's too bad the video stopped before he did the demo.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

His lectures on youtube are usually more like 50 minutes each.

I'm pretty sure this whole lecture is on youtube... I think I've seen this one before.

boB

Reply to
boB

Assume that there is a loop with R1, R2 in a uniform increasing magnetic field. And assume that points A and D are selected on either side of the loop such that the integral(dL) through each half of the loop are the same.

I think you will see 0.4V on each voltmeter.

Kirchoff's Law still holds if you model the induced E in the loop as distributed voltage sources depending on integral(dL).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I go to the MIT website and watch a whole semester of lectures. (Not all in one night :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold