Experimenting with the PicBasic Pro Compiler

Hi, is there anyone who can help me? I bought this book "Experimenting with the PicBasic Pro Compiler" of Les Johnson but I lost the included cdrom, would be nice if someone could help me.

Please reply to this post or write at: elettronica snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.it

The

isn't online anymore so I don't know how to get the source code .BAS

Thank you

Fabrizio

Reply to
Fabrizio

Think it morphed into Proton, not sure as found Lester and Les incrediblly unpleasant people to deal with and Crownhill a company that I would never place any trust in again,YMMV:

May I suggest looking around at the other compilers availble, sure there is better value available wth undoubtedly better support:

Oshonsoft in particular looks very promising:

HTH Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I own PBP, however I've been out of touch with the pic crowd for sometime. What is going on with CrownHill, PBP, and Proton (whatever that is)?

Why such a I'll feeling?

Richard

Richard

Oops, I have MELabs PicBasic Pro, not the one from Crownhill. Never had problems from Jeff over at

Richard

I am (was?) buying the Crownhill Proton next week. Having looked at a few Basics for the PIC and for £150 it seemed the best of the bunch. Other than the CH FlashBasic most of the PIC basics seem Basics in name only and are really 'C's. There seems also talk of a sodding USB dongle needed but I can't get any sense out of the website. Am I going to have trouble with Crownhill?. Regards john.

Reply to
john jardine

The compilers use(d) a complex locking system, which generated a code which you emailed to Crownhil, which they emailed you back an unlocking code.

I was an early adopter of the compiler, purchased firts commercial version they had, on CDR with inkjet label stuff, which was development of the free LET Basic compiler.

Few months later the plus version was launched, the early adopters were given a free upgrade, fair enough as we did in part finace its development.

Few months on, had a hard drive crash, plus compiler wiped, politely email Crownhill for an another unlocking code, by this time have a fair invetment of code inthis compiler, few days go by, no code , give them a phone,

`oh you were a free upgrade, you only get that once, youll have to pay the upgrade fee of £70` a female voice tells me.

Not best pleased tried to explain that first time in 8 months asked for a code, so unlikely to installing it on multiple machines, and was an early adopter felt some closeness to the project and some good will would be nice.

Asked to be put through to Lester, he put the phone down on me.

Re dialled immediately explained to the female that a happy customer might tell a few people , an unhappy one many, it is customer service

101.

Lester decides to take the call at this point and accuses me of threatening him and his company!

He tells me that no early adopters financed any part of the development, few weeks later in defending the unLockit scandal on his mailing list he goes on about needing adopters to finance development.....

Eventually Lester tells me that if I write him an email , withdrawing my `threat` and detailing my reasons for needing the code, he will consider it. How big of him.

He did eventually provide an unlocking code several days later, I printed out all the code and started using another compiler.

When it was still run as a mailing list there was few similar stories from people virtually having to beg to get a replacement unLockit code, Les Johnson on at least one occasion came very close to calling his cutomers liars and cheats on the mailing list for seeking to use the licensed software they had already paid once for.

Perhaps things are better now, all I can relate is my experience.

Would say that there are many other compilers around and that the Crownhill version appears to have one of the smallest user bases of all of them, perhaps there are good reasons for it.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

[...]

Thanks. A sad story. I do remember the Let-Basic. I had a hard disc screw up a few months ago and know the extreme time waste and buggering about it takes to get new access codes from suppliers. Maybe I'll do a little more searching. regards john

Reply to
john jardine