exists a xenon strobe chemat to erase UV EPOMs ?

is a xenon strobe light suitable/efficient for erasing uv EPROMs

are there any details that should be attended to if the answer is maybe ?

i did google and these found sirtes

would the sites have what i need to make uv erasing strobe ??

maybe i just need to read more

thanks, robb

Reply to
robb

Dunno... I unsuccessfully Googled for a xenon spectral graph some time ago.

My curiosity was for xenon exposure vs halogen exposure on photosensitive pcbs.

Some of the xenon products (certain colour temperature) for car headlights are obviously heavy at the blue end. A clue for more UV.

I'd be funny to know if a disco strobe at max flash rate can erase a UV erasable ROM. :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

HID car headlight lamps are metal halides. The xenon there is mainly an inert ingredient, producing some light before the real active ingredients vaporize. Xenon does make a nice marketing buzzword though. The more-blue automotive HIDs have indium in them, which produces little UV. Most metal halides made for producing white or colored visible light don't make a lot of UV, usually less than mercury vapor lamps of the same wattage.

I would try a medium flash rate. Maximum flash rate means less energy per flash, and the energy storage capacitor is at a lower voltage, so the xenon does not get quite as hot and has a smaller percentage of its output being UV.

I don't expect a cheap xenon strobe to do well however. EPROMs are erased mainly by shortwave UV, and cheap flashtubes are made of a borosilicate glass, which blocks shortwave UV.

If you can find a germicidal lamp that is mechanically and electricaly interchageable with a fluorescent lamp, you are in business. Look for G4T5, G6T5, G8T5, G15T8.

Don Klipstein

Yeah... I was surprised to see some proclaimed Xenon headlights with filaments and no power supply required! IFAK..xenon HID lights have no filament. The picture on Ebay Item 260197487128 looks sans filament. It also makes sense that a power supply is needed.

20 000K produces a deep blue. But, you're saying it's a lamo UV level :( Bummer...

My interest was in making a collimated UV point light source to create perpendicular shadows. It's possibly a little better than a germ tube from a ray point of view.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

EPROMs

answer is

[trim]

electricaly

Look for

I did do that Don and it worked great ! a G4T5 and installed in a kitchen cabinet application micro fixture (my stock) so for about $15 outofpocket

i just put it in a large tin can on two wood blocks and slid 6 EPROMs under it about 3/4" clearance , put top on and plug it in (no human exposure) and 15 minutes later tested and done.

thanks for the help, robb

Reply to
robb