Epson Perfection Scanner Problem

Hi Experts :-)

I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until today. Now, when I press the start button, it click-clicks and the carriage does not move.

I removed the screws and tried to take the top off. The front of the top has catches that project into the base so it does not allow me to lift up the front. I removed the screws from the back and it will lift slightly but seems to be caught in something. I don't want to force it, so if someone has experience of this model I would appreciate advice on how to take it apart without wrecking it.

TIA

Reply to
JD

is that model old enough to have a lock/transport mechanism that may have been bumped and engaged?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:48:34 +0000, Cydrome Leader ??o??:

I haven't seen one that didn't lock. Not saying there may be some that don't. All 4 of my Canon LiDE scanners lock. Don't ask why I have 4 :) And all the others back to the first SCSI scanner I owned back in the

90's locked.
Reply to
Meat Plow

After the screwed-down end is loose, lift it slightly and the top can be pushed off the catches.

As others have noted, clicking sounds sometimes come from the lock being engaged, sometimes it's just a sticky rail or the motor isn't getting full power (check the power supply voltage).

Be sure to clean the glass inner surface before you reassemble.

Reply to
whit3rd

Thank you CL and MP.

The scanner is indeed old. I can't remember when I bought it but the manual that came with it has: Copyright 2000.

I knew about the lock. The carriage needs to be locked while moving the scanner around and then unlocked when the scanner needs to be used.

I decided to replace the screws and then to go carefully through the known steps - connecting and turning on in the right sequence. It worked fine then, except from one messy situation that really irked me with the Copy facility. It had collected all my 3 fax progs and a PDF prog for the destination of the scan - no such place as a folder to place the copy. The normal setting for the group (faxes and PDF prog) was alphabetical, so when I made my copies it flashed open the fax prog and I had to stop and take another route to get the job done. Anyone experience this limitation? Or is there a setting that I have missed?

It's quite a complicated piece of work.

Have a great weekend guys :-)

Reply to
JD

Thank you Whit3rd.

Somehow or other something inside prevented me from moving that cover. The front was easy but it has two catches and I could not move the cover forward enough to get out of the slots. I could raise the rear end slighly on the side where the lock is but the other one would not budge.

Fortunately, as you will note from my reply above, I managed to get the scanner working again.

I wasn't sure what was doing the clicking when I first started the task but, when I had all the screws back in place, and the electric and USB plugs inserted, it started very quickly and there were no clicks.

I didn't get that far but fortunately the inner glass is extremely clean. I guess it's a good air-tight case.

Thanks again and have a great weekend W3 :-)

Reply to
JD

For future ref you might find the newsgroup comp.periphs.scanners to also be of help. Some of the posts there refer to changing the lamp and cleaning under the glass, so some successful dismantling must have taken place.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Be aware that once you open the scanner, presuming you can get past the mechanical issues you are having, the pristine clean interior will never be that way again. These things are assembled in a clean room so that there is no dust inside the unit. (Dust = spots and defects in every scan that you make). Working in a home or ordinary repair shop is no substitute for the clean room and you will find it impossible to keep the internal parts of the unit dust and lint free. Remember that the air all around us is full of dust particles and it will get all over the internal scanner parts despite all best efforts to "keep it clean".

--
- mkaras
Reply to

You are perhaps overlooking the fact that the "internal" dust will be at some distance from the focal plane.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

not dust on the ccd

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

You should be able to clean that off. I have two DSLRs, and have never had dust on the sensors. (My Visible Dust cleaning equipment is sitting there, just gathering dust.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

the ccd in most scanners is obscured by a lens assembly of some sort. It's harder to reach that than the imager in a slr type camera. You can't just pop off the lense and rub it with a swab and be done.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader