EBook reader DIY?

Guys, First off, I have little to no clue about electronics. I'm an aerospace engineer and can figure stuff out by myself once I've been pointed in the right direction. I have some very BASIC electronic knowledge, can quickly read up books & articles about electronics when needed, and am very experienced with soldering. This would be my very first electronics DIY project.

I came across a BOEhydis HT10X21-200 lcd screen (without bezel, frame,etc.) and would like to build my own portable eBook reader / picture viewer / movie player. I have no idea whatsoever where to start looking for info, diagrams, parts, etc. I have no idea if a 'homebuilt' like this has been done before and thus I have no general concept of what to do (windows based? unix based? other OS? what memory, cpu, graphics, etc..).

Any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated! I realize my request is very broad, feel free to just throw your opinion in please! Thanks! Bernie

Reply to
Bernie

Wow, that's definitely a good beginner's project! You could start by buying a single board PC with LCD interface and then install Windows XP (embedded) and some other software. Or you can do it from scratch: design a computer board, write an OS for it and then the applications you want. That should keep you busy for the next five to ten years or so.

Good luck!

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

LOL - I know I know, I'm not exactly being realistic here. I'm just brainstorming ;)

I've never stated that I do want to do it from scratch though. Single board PC? Sounds good to me, any pointers there?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bernie

buying

(embedded)

computer

should

IEI

Advantech
and probably many others.

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

Before you start this, read about the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA--pronounced Dumb-ka) and what happened to Dmitry Sklyarov:

's-secure-eBook-format+into+the-more-common-Portable-Document-Format-PDF&filter=0

Reply to
JeffM

Just curious, if you are good at soldering. How small components do you manage..? 2706 - 1812 - 1206 - 0805 - 0603 - 0402 - 0201 , tq144 ? :)

Most lcd's either have some kind of serial/parallel comms or do the video approach with pixelclock + h/v-sync. Look & measure the original lcd driver.

If requirements on cpu complexity/powerconsumption is tight you may have to program a system that is not really an os but simply an task handler. If a somewhat powerful cpu is ok. Then you could simple run

or similar os. Which unlike MS offerings requires less cpu power. And less hassle with legacy encumbered interfaces and licenses.

Good cpu's are on the lowend avr/pic offerings. And higher arm/mips etc.. Also take a look at fpga offerings from Xilinx/Actel/Altera. They allow you to have interfaceing & cpu in one chip (SoC).

Beware it's proberbly easier to take an existing pda. And modify it to suit your needs. Other than that select an cpu/fpga + i/o (video, keyboard) that suit your needs. Buy parts, design pcb.. Oh and.. this project might be a steep step for a beginner.. ;)

Reply to
pbdelete