DVR standalone

does anyone still make a DVR standalone.....recorder without the monthly charge thanks

Reply to
buddy

There's the open-source MythTV project

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Yup. You do!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Jul 25, 8:09=A0am, Winston wrote: > buddy wrote: > > does anyone still make a DVR standalone.....recorder without the monthly > > charge =A0 =A0 thanks >

If you're not into the linux experience, the software that comes with both the Hauppauge and ATI cards works. I've been using standalone DVRs (3 on line) for over 6 years. Multicore processors highly recommended along with large disk drives. The 3 machines here have a little over 7 Terabytes. You CAN use a single core machine for TV recording but don't try web surfing or other operations while in record. You'll get 'stutters' but no such issues with multi-core. Playing shows across the LAN works great but if you try moving large files machine to machine gigabit LAN speeds things up about 5:1 over a

10/100 link.

PC Atomic Sync auto clock set is great because you can set the PC consistently 15 seconds fast so you don't upcut the start. VideoReDo will let you remove the commercial breaks. It typically takes me 2-3 minutes to set all the in/out points and then 2-5 minutes to output the new smaller file.

The file rendering is much faster when using 2 separate hard drives so the machines all have a secondary drive which can double as aux storage. 2 of the machines now have small (30gB) Solid State drives for the apps and OS but none of the routine storage. Makes for much faster software loads and very quick 'imaging' of the system.

I'm told Win XP can't boot from a drive > 2T and can't format a drive bigger that 2T but when I connected a 3T USB drive (pre-formatted) windows explorer reported 2.7T and is just fine reading and writing to it.

With Blu-Ray writers at $80 and $1/blank disc that is also an option for bulk storage and you can make your own Blu-Ray discs of the shows you capture.

Back in '94 I was impressed when we crossed the $1/mByte boundary. We're now at 4 cents/GB for both Blu-Ray and hard discs.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Certainly, but you have to program it manually.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
buddy

Sure. They exist. Though it's a few years old, I have a stand-alone DVR with a DVD writer. The only problem is that there is no guide so you have to set the timer manually. I used it to record off a cable DVR (DVR to DVR, then) onto DVDs.

Reply to
krw

=A0no

DVR with

o set

hen)

te:

ly

but it's only standard definition. yuck

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Good enough for TeeVee.

Reply to
krw

te:

R with

o set

hen)

nthly

You haven't seen it at its best. What we get at home is OK but you'd be pretty impressed before the 1.5 Gbit stream gets squashed down to

15 megabits.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46