DSL phone line

We just switched over to DSL from modem on home computers. Put DSL filters on the handsets in the house and also on the cord going to the computer modems. When we try to receive faxes only one of the computers will even attempt to "answer" the call. Is it possible that the two middle wires that we are using on the wires running through the house are reversed on the non-functioning modem? Both computers could previously do this. The suspect line can operate a telephone no problem. Seems odd to work on one, but not the other. The junction box on the exterior of the house has red to red and green to green, haven't yet figured out which connection goes to which outlet. Should I randomly try reversing some wires or does it even matter?

Reply to
Stumpy

The polarity of a home phone line hasn't mattered since the early 60s. You have some other problem like a broken connection through some of the filters. Try putting a phone where one of the non-answering computers is connected and see if the line is really getting through that particular filter.

Bob

--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==

I did and it does. I also swapped the filters and it did not make a difference. Both computers are similar and I think have the same modem.

Reply to
Stumpy

These polarity changes have been designed out of newer switching systems since the early 80's....however, if the CO is old, it will work as described.

Reply to
Lord Garth

The polarity could be an issue, answering, automation machines like Faxes and the like used to detect the phone polarity to indicate an on/off hook on the other end. the polarity used to flip when the party on the other end picked up the line and when they drop the line, your polarity would switch back. This is how answering machines can detect you dropping the line and not complete the answering message.

I don't know if your fax machine is actually detecting this. It may think it's already connected.

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to

What is a CO ?

Reply to
Stumpy

may

Central Office

Ron M.

That's the Central Office at the telephone exchange. This is where all the telephone signaling like ringing / ringback, battery are created.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Well, that wouldn't be my problem. Major city, recent growth, dense population, I'll bet the CO equipment is less than 10 years old.

I'm willing to run over and turn on the second computer when I have to.

It's possible I inadvertently changed a software setting when I added the wireless card and made a new connection.

Reply to
Stumpy

If you were asking about a remote controlled power switch, there are off the shelf solutions such as the old X-10 powerline controller and an appliance module or their RF equivalent version which comes with a key fob transmitter. You could also decode touch tones and activate an outlet though this solution will require some engineering. Lastly, a length of CAT5 cable could be used to carry the control signals in a current loop for a very long distance as well.

Reply to
Lord Garth

How's that workin' out for ya, filtering out the digital part of the signal before it gets to the computer?

--
Regards,
 Click to see the full signature

Mostly good. The digital part of the signal goes directly to the wireless DSL gateway modem/router for internet connectivity. The filters remove the digital part to the in computer-modem so the XP fax console should work. I've got a 50% success rate. Lately that's typical for me.

Reply to
Stumpy