Driving higher voltages with p-type MOSFET

what I was looking for. Thanks John. > >Don --- My pleasure. :-) -- JF

no, not stuck, you can use the NPN in common-base mode.

+24 ---------+------. .--- | | | | | ==== | | | | | | |_|1.5K | | | +------' / +5 |/ -+----| | |\| | ~\ | | | | | | | | 470 Ohms | | | _|__ |_| | | mcu|----' ____| |

--+--- 0V

The 470R puts about 9mA through the transistor, dependant on how strong the MCU output is, across the i.5K that's about 13V to turn the mosfet on, which sould be about right..

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

what I was looking for. Thanks John. > >Don --- My pleasure. :-) -- JF

could have just used an n-type MOSFET and controlled it directly with the MCU.

you start thinking about using a PNP to switch it, you run into the same problem.

Nothing will put the emitter voltage higher than the base, the B-C diode is plenty strong enough. puwer up isnt going to be crazy. But you've got a base current problem when you try to turn the transistor on.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

what I was looking for. Thanks John. > >Don --- My pleasure. :-) -- JF

could have just used an n-type MOSFET and controlled it directly with the MCU.

you start thinking about using a PNP to switch it, you run into the same problem.

Oops! Needs a base or emitter resistor?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

what I was looking for. Thanks John. > >Don --- My pleasure. :-) -- JF

could have just used an n-type MOSFET and controlled it directly with the MCU.

as you start thinking about using a PNP to switch it, you run into the same problem.

For you, a Base R would be the simplest approach..

--
  Using a E R is going to to force you to subtract the
Vcc-.7 volts for example, from the upper divider..

   I don't know what your VDD is but maybe it's 5 volts? If
so, this would mean, you need to subtract ~ 4.3 volts from
the 24+ up above which leads you to just under 20 volts to
play with. This may work for you as a direct driving approach
instead of using the voltage divider above. So select such a
R for this, one suitable for putting the transistor into saturation
would be enough I would say.. The one problem that may result from this
is if the uP when in the high state does not meet the VDD of the
uP. If it falls more than a diode drop below the Vdd, then it'll put the
transistor into conduction state and slightly pull it down. That may not
be a problem but something to look at..

   If you want to experiment with emitter R's, try a 5k in yours..

Jamie
Reply to
Jamie

driving the gate directly from a mictrocontroller that uses +5 and ground. The problem is that I need +24 and +19. I looked into "high voltage level translators", but they have been discontinued or are a non-stock item.

Simpler:

uP gnd port

where the uP port is active low, 3.3v logic.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

driving the gate directly from a mictrocontroller that uses +5 and ground. The problem is that I need +24 and +19. I looked into "high voltage level translators", but they have been discontinued or are a non-stock item.

--
Don specified that he wanted to drive a PFET gate with 24V and 19V and
that his signal source was 5V logic.

Your 3.3V logic ignores his 5V request and, with R2 in the emitter of
the NPN, makes it impossible for its collector to get to his requested
19V.
Reply to
John Fields

driving the gate directly from a mictrocontroller that uses +5 and ground. The problem is that I need +24 and +19. I looked into "high voltage level translators", but they have been discontinued or are a non-stock item.

I think he can handle that difference. 5 volt logic is getting pretty rare these days!

with R2 in the emitter of

Why impossible? This circuit allows any desired drop across R1, up until the NPN saturates. With a 24 volt supply, 5 or maybe 10 volts across R1 is easy.

The nice thing about this topology, besides the simplicity, is that the NPN is a constant current sink, so the drive to the upper pnp/pfet is independent of changes in the +24 supply.

To flip the control polarity, just do this:

The R1/R2 math is the same, but the uP port can be wimpier, since it doesn't have to sink the drive up into R1.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'm driving the gate directly from a mictrocontroller that uses +5 and ground. The problem is that I need +24 and +19. I looked into "high voltage level translators", but they have been discontinued or are a non-stock item.

--
Nicely done.
Reply to

Thanks John.