do snubbers apply for solid state switches

I was wondering, if I'm using FETs to switch on/off 100V at 10A. Do I need some kind of snubber circuit for my FET? Or do snubbers just apply to relays? my load is just resistive.

thanks

Reply to
panfilero

some kind of snubber circuit for my FET? Or do snubbers just apply to relays? my load is just resistive.

Snubber design is an art. They can be used to tailor load lines to minimize device dissipation and/or to stay inside of safe operating limitations.

Back in the early '80's I did an off-line 200W switcher for GenRad using HV bipolar devices (MJE-something-or-other, TO-220, half-H-bridge).

I used a current probe and a voltage probe to get V-I load line plots, and got switching very nearly right along the axes (*)

Ran so cool I took off the heat-sinks.

Then I wondered how "cool"?

Without thinking I grabbed a flag to see... forgetting that there was

340V P-P there... instant entertainment for the technicians ;-)

(*) Snubber was an inductor, resistor, capacitor, diode combination... so it behaved differently depending on switching direction. ...Jim Thompson

some kind of snubber circuit for my FET? Or do snubbers just apply to relays? my load is just resistive.

Ha!

Sounds like using your hand to discharge photoflash capacitors where the cap is hidden somewhere.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

some kind of snubber circuit for my FET? Or do snubbers just apply to relays? my load is just resistive.

Sure can make a non-dancer dance ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Yes, FET switches need snubbers, too. Any time you're switching the current off from an inductive load you need a snubber of some sort.

No, if the load is purely resistive you don't need a snubber. Of course, if your load is more inductive than you thought you may find out that you needed a snubber after all. If you're in luck, the FET's intrinsic diode to the + rail will be all you need.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Discrete 3-terminal fets will have a substrate diode, but no flyback clamp diode. Some fets are avalanche rated, but a catch diode or an RC snubber across the load is a good investment when switching a kilowatt: there may be some inductance around.

Slowing down the gate drive is good, too, if the situation allows.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

some kind of snubber circuit for my FET? Or do snubbers just apply to relays? my load is just resistive.

thanks for the replies!

Reply to
panfilero