Digital stereo audio to 'old analog stereo'?

Is there an adapter one can purchase so one can use older stereo equipment with a new flat screen digital TV? My new TV only has 'digital audio out', a single plug that I imagine is a 3 conductor type, but I'm guessing. . . . .any enlightenmet on this I would sure appreciate. . ..thanks chas.

Reply to
chas

Has it got a headphone output jack as well? Most do. If so for that there is a simple adapter. (1/8" mini stereo plug to 2x RCA plug - $2-6 or higher if you want to be ripped off - there's always someone willing to rip you off in the audio market.)

The digital out is (IIRC) just two conductors carrying a datastream. The "adapter' for it would be something that reads the datastream and has digital to audio converters. Which is halfway to a new receiver, so I doubt there's anything cost effective in an adapter, due to volume (many more receivers made than adapters, economies of scale, etc.)

Ecnerwal

Or, some of them have optical digital out - ie, it's (cheap plastic) fiber optic datastream...

Ecnerwal

How about digital computer speakers?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm in that boat myself. It's cheaper just to buy a new system. ...Jim Thompson

No, it's cheaper to buy a TV that meets your needs.

Reply to
krw

eBay #160855547898 . . . .take a look at the above auction site number. Looks to good to be true. $15.00 +/-. . . . .chas

Reply to
chas

"chas"

** Does your TV set output 2 ch LPCM ( linear pulse code modulation) ?

Not many do and that is the only kind of digital signal the above unit it works with.

Most TVs will output a compressed digital signal containing up to 5.1 audio channels.

This is what a "digital receiver" expects to see arriving at the optical or co-axial input.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison