Designing wireless controllers

I am designing a game that requires three players to wirelessly signal a central unit whether their 'buzz in with the answer' button is pushed. I had great success modifying Radio Shack wireless doorbells because they have three different channels with three different carrier frequencies. Unfortunately, when two players 'buzz in' nearly simultaneously, the signals interfere with each other and I can't properly detect them. I also tried using commercial TV infrared controllers and receivers but, if two players buzz in nearly simultaneously, the signals again interfere and the receiver gets confused. I tried using a Holtek encoder-decoder scheme but, again, if two players buzz in nearly simultaneously, the signals interfere. Any suggestions?

Jeff Schwartz

Reply to
Jeffrey Schwartz

Use fourier transform to determine which phase is earlier.

Reply to
chinmaydeodhar

--
Here\'s what I\'d do:

I\'d have the handheld units be transmitter-receivers, each with a
crystal oscillator and a counter which would start accumulating
oscillator clocks as soon as the button was pushed.  At the same
time, a signal would be sent to the remote receiver (in the control
unit) which would cause the remote transmitter to send a signal to
all of the handhelds, at once, telling them to stop counting but to
hold the count.  It would then query each of the handhelds, one at a
time, as to what number of clocks its counter had accumulated.
After determining which one had accumulated the largest number of
clocks (the winner) and lighting the lamp (or whatever) it would
send a signal to all of the handhelds which would clear the counters
and start another round.
Reply to
John Fields

Jeffrey Schwartz wrote in news:XJVmf.23131 $ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga:

Are there simple R/C model transmitter/receivers that can be set to channels, and have the outputs fed to "Jeapordy" logic circuits already available on several web sites. I have a 6 position unit that I would like to "cut the wires" and go RF. I just haven't looked yet.

Reply to
Ken Moffett

yes typical RC transmitters are operate on separate channels unlike thise doorbels, door openers, and infrared remote controls, which just use coded pulses to diferentiate.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

What about Radio Shack fob transmitters? Are they all pretty much at the same frequency? I wonder if it'd be worth it to poke around with retuning a set.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

that'd probably require replacing the tuning component (SAW filtter or crystal)

If only three transmitters are needed three of those cheap golf-ball sized radio-controlled toy cars would have the neccesary parts.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts