design help

[snip]

Better than being a f*ck-headed amateur pretending to be a circuit designer.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | The first sign of senility is persistently trying to be an asshole

The second sign of senility is touting your company's wonderful circuit designs as your own, while posting amateur crap on S.E.D

Yep. That works. I've also used P-channel MOSFET's and PNP's to detect above rail, activating the active clamp.

...Jim Thompson

The first sign of senility is persistently trying to be an asshole

The second sign of senility is touting your company\'s wonderful
circuit designs as your own, while posting amateur crap on S.E.D

We have PC demo programs for both of those gadgets. I have a friend, the best programmer I've ever met, who did JAVA virtual instruments for both, working as a contractor (luckily, he's usually broke, too, so is happy for quickie projects like these.) But we have mostly OEM and systems customers, and they integrate a lot of different products into big test systems, so they write their own code and have no use for a PC-based VI, except for initial product evaluation.

Most of our serial modules have a "RUn DEmo" command, with one or more demos that make outputs directly. That saves a lot of phone calls. They all include a pretty extensive "HElp" system.

For the VME modules, we just supply register maps. There are too many different OSs and CPUs and VME bridges to even try to supply drivers or VIs. Customers don't seem to mind.

A GUI implies a benchtop customer who buys one unit and needs lots of support. National Instruments is welcome to them.

My systems customers seldom use Windows, and often openly mock it.

John

Spehro Pefhany

On my first bike, a Honda SL-90, I wore a helmet all of the time; I used to, when I't take a spill, intentionally land on my helmet. I figured that would be less painful than on the palms of my hands, or my elbows. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I guess that's what techs are for - to explain spec's to the engineers who can't comprehend non-jargonized plain ol' English. ;-P

At least I threw a barb at someone who I thought could take it and not get all snitty. (OK, I was wrong. ;-P )

What's your excuse for picking on all of the people you pick on?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Boy, you sure can dish it out, for someone who can't seem to take it. ;-)

Enjoy Your Snit! ;-D Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Careful, JF. You're the other of "The Two Johns" who also got it wrong.

Boy, talk about pots and kettles! This pissfest is almost fun to watch! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And one Polly Prissypants. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On the first computer I ever owned (Scelbi 8H, 8008-based) I had to toggle in the whole program! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Interrupt ReQuest, i.e.. actual hardware. ;-)

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:58:55 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

OK, got it, thank you.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

when I did comp.sci assembler was taught first year on simulated pretend hardware, and second year on real M68k, there was no focus in IRQ handling but deadlocks, and other cocurrency issues were done year three.

it's often possible to write ISRs entirely in C

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I had an S90. Not exactly a drag racer. Crashed it lots of times. It was so light, even my young body made it top-heavy.

My first wife had a Kawasaki Samurai, 3-cyl 2-cycle suicide machine,

0-60 in 4 seconds and horribly unstable. Damn near killed herself on it.

John

What's the collective noun for chickens?

(googles...)

ah yes,

a peep!

John

you do it once, not once per file. so on average zero steps.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

"Take it?" What are you talking about?

I posted delay-off circuits for both polarities of switches. Circuits that were simple enough for him to build quickly, and that would work first time.

And you didn't.

John

There is an issue with degrading (each time) the energy absorbing capability of the headgear. Inexpensive leather gloves prevents/reduces hand damage quite nicely (cowhide being much less expensive than my hide). Other personal protective equipment has its uses/merits as well. Just the same, sometimes i like to ride in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals and maybe a hat.

Reply to
JosephKK

...Jim Thompson

The first sign of senility is persistently trying to be an asshole

The second sign of senility is touting your company\'s wonderful
circuit designs as your own, while posting amateur crap on S.E.D

And acts like Polly Prissypants ?:-)