Design circuits

Hi there

I have completed EE and cannot design circuit.I want to improve my electronic practical knowledge. How can i improve .Is there any books that explain how to design circuit with explaination. Can anyone help me.

regards cbala

Reply to
scbalachandran

What kind of circuit? You can design a simple circuit right? Something like:

(GND)----(-)Battery(+) ----(Lightbulb)----(GND)

Reply to
ptw

Thanks for your concern.Simple circuit can built. I want to improve further my knowledge.

regards c.bala

Reply to
scbalachandran

cbala, No worry. That actually qualifies you for Management, Sales, Software... Design= too much work, too little pay :-)

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

--- Then learn how to post properly.

"Summarize what you're following up.

When you click "Reply" under "show options" to follow up an existing article, Google Groups includes the full article in quotes, with the cursor at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start typing your message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and remove parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get through your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your reply appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get the gist of what you're talking about."

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

That's scary. How did you get an EE degree without learning to design circuits?

--
James T. White
Reply to

You can take a lot of CS courses and skip stuff like electromagnetics (which is, believe it or not, an *elective* in many EE schools nowadays!)

You can now get an "Electrical Engineering" degree without the hazards of being exposed to electricity.

To the OP: find an old-timer circuit designer, probably a senior engineer in an instrumentation or scientific instrument company. Go plead with him to take you on as a low-paid intern/tech/scutt bunny.

John

Welcome to the club of "The let down of Electrical Engineering School".

A book that you will probably find very helpfull is "The Art of Electronics". It should begin to fill in a lot of the gaps and holes in what you learned(?). The book approaches electronics from a real world perspective.

Realize also that design ability comes with time, patience and experience.

Reply to
Noway2

Good advice and a good book. Another good book that is readable is the ARRL "Handbook" (especially so if you are interested in RF). Finally, Bob Pease has written some nice stuff.

Don't feel bad. A close friend owned his company and interviewed all engineers before they were hired. His standard question/challenge was to have them sketch an op-amp circuit with a voltage gain of 10. He found that few fresh EE grads could draw a circuit that would work.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Hi, Cbala. If you've completed an EE degree, and you want to learn some practical knowledge through books, here are a couple of tips:

1) At all costs, keep the textbooks from your classes. Now that you actually need the information, you'll find a lot of it is actually there -- you just might not have been paying attention. 2) Another book that can help you is a lab notebook, or preferably many of them. When you do something or learn something cool, write it down. These ongoing notes can be invaluable to assimilate practical knowledge. Find the sewn binding composition notebooks with quadrille graph paper -- they're as good as formal laboratory notebooks for writing as well as sketches, and they cost much less. Keep them forever, or until the paper falls apart. That's at least 30 years with intelligent storage. 3) Another post mentioned "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. The Grey Lady of Electronics is in its second edition ( still :-( ), and is well worth the price. I'm on my second copy. It looks like there may not be a third edition, so don't wait -- just go ahead and buy one. 4) Be sure to get at least one copy of the ARRL Handbook. You really should have one from every decade from the '60s on. They're commonly available at garage sales and such, so don't be timid -- get a couple. 5) Scrounge whatever data books you can find. Read them, read them, and you may. Read them and you may, I say. If you have a choice, get the old National Semiconductor Logic and Linear databooks. Keep them everywhere, read from them constantly. They're the Green Eggs and Ham of electronics. 6) While we're on the subject, you could do a lot worse than reading a copy of National Semiconductor's "Linear Applications Handbook" cover to cover. The app notes give a good background for "contrivers of contrivances", even if many of the earlier National devices are no more. 7) Scrounge your way into getting subscriptions to many electronics and engineering magazines. Make sure "many" includes EDN, Electronics Design, and Design News, but get as many as you can. 8) Read other things besides electronics stuff, too. The second E is engineering, and a good electronics engineer is knowledgeable and widely read on everything from mechanical engineering to economics, politics and religion. It will keep you fresh, too. There's always something new to learn.

I hope this provided you with another email address.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Then go get your money back from the school that didn't teach you shit, and buy some real stuff.

--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that

Draw it in

1) boxes and triangles, 2) integrated circuit chips, or 3) discrete parts (or equivalent discrete parts) ?

with or without assumed/realistic numbers?

Reply to
ptw

lets see.! is that Electrical Engineering or Electronic Engineering ?

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Triangles (although boxes would have been acceptable). Certainly not a discrete op-amp.

By the way, he was satisfied when the applicants offered forth a triangle and two resistors. He told me that one applicant also showed a ground return resistor in an inverting amplifier and was able to explain how it minimized input offset and he hired the guy on the spot!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

you suck

Reply to