dead unused NiMH AA cells

I recently opened a pack of NiMH AAs that I'd had lying around for a while, & some of them wouldn't charge at all. I tried putting them in the fancy German charger as well (I can't remember the model name, but it's the one that has discharge, test, & refresh modes) but it just showed "null" for them, as if they weren't even there.

Is there some need to charge NiMH cells as soon as you buy them?

Reply to
Adam Funk

No, but NiMH do die even if unused. In my experience it takes 2-4 years for this to happen.

Also some Chinese manufacturers produce cells that never work. The brand "BTY" is a standout in this category (BTY = "battery thought you - ha ha")

Reply to
David Eather

No, but NiMH do die even if unused. In my experience it takes 2-4 years for this to happen.

Also some Chinese manufacturers produce cells that never work. The brand "BTY" is a standout in this category (BTY = "battery thought you - ha ha")

***

Eneloop rechargeable NiMH batteries by Sanyo are very good at retaining their charge. Have had some still almost fully charged after a year, while other brands are dead in 2 or 3 months.

Reply to
Larry

I really like Eneloops. They are not available with solder tabs, so I bought myself a spot welder so that I can make all my batteries from Eneloops. I wish they were available in Sub-C size.

From what I understand, Panasonic have now bought Eneloop.

Other brands also have LSD (Low Self-Discharge) batteries.

--
RoRo
Reply to

The OP was asking about dead as in faulty batteries that could no longer take a charge

Reply to
David Eather

Right: they've never been charged (I just opened the package) & they are "pre-dead".

--
There's nothing in Scripture that forbids letting our lawn
go wild.                              --- Garrison Keillor

These were Maplin's own brand --- first time I've had a problem with them, but you never know if they're all coming from the same place.

--
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not
preserved, except in memory. LLAP.         --- Leonard Nimoy