## DC Sweep Result of Schmitt Trigger Inverter? ##

If I do a DC SWEEP of -0.5v~0.5v to a Schmitt Trigger Inverter, Why do I see

Y:VOUT

----------------------------------- \\ \\ \\

----------------------------------- x: VIN a b

(a=-0.2v, b=-0.19v)

If I dida TRANSIENT Simulation of an Inverter of question.

Y:VIN ------------------------- / \\ / \\ / \\ / \\ / \\

-----------------------------

----------------------------- x:time

Y:VOUT

-------------------------------

------------------------------- x:time \\ / \\ / \\ / \\ / -------------------------

What I want say is that the Inverter above has Hysteresis Characteristic of a Schmitt Trigger Inverter.

However, if I do a DC simulation of the same Inverter of question, (i.e. when the inverter is dc swept)

Y:VOUT

----------------------------------- \\ \\ \\

----------------------------------- x: VIN

It seems to be just a normal Inverter.

Why does this Inverter shows an Schmitt Trigger Characteristics in TRANSIENT sim, and a normal Inverter Characteristic in DC simulation?

Is this Inverter a Schmitt Trigger Inverter or a Normal Inverter?

Regards, June

Reply to
june

Hard to follow your description but I would say that in a DC model, you are supplying a low and high input signal with no middle range. This would make it look like a generic inverter, because you have quickly gone past the hysteresis region and thus, no effect will be visible.

with a TRANSIENT simulation, you are supplying a ramp up and ramp down and this will give enough time to see the hysteresis effect.

DC modeling most likely is to assume an ideal signal of 0 or fully on with no ramp visible (slew/Skew times = 0.0) etc...

Of course, there is no such thing as an ideal condition. Simulators must be forgiven for their bad insight!

"

Reply to
Jamie