DC power to small AC motor?

Hi - I am hoping someone can help me....

I have some small "Christmas light turners" (the kind you replace a light in your Christmas light set with and it spins your ornaments on the tree) I am trying to drive those motors from a DC power source (batteries) as part of a mobile display. I only need about 3 volts AC (not sure of the current - can't be much)

I have looked a LOTS of DC/AC inverter circuits but they are all designed for 110volts.

ANY help here is really appreciated - I am getting down to the wire on finishing this project.

Thanks SEPP!

Reply to
Sepp Spenlinhauer

Sepp, First I would make sure that the motor won't run on DC. If not, the simplest thing is to get the 110VAC inverter, and a 6.0 or 6.3 v CENTER TAPPED filament transformer (1 amp transformer should be more than enough). Connect the motor between the center tap and either one of the other output leads.

Tam

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Try a 555 timer operated around 50% duty running on 5VDC or so. See:

For a ~3VAC output drive the 555 from 4.5V to 6V DC. The typical 555 is rated for a 200mA Max output drive.

For a

Reply to
Kim Clay

Try building a circuit generating a square wave of say 5V-50Hz and use a small 1:1 transformer or a (big enough) coupling capacitor For low energy I'd try the latter For a simple 1:1 transformer you might use an 'off the shelf transformer' having 2 identical 6V "outputs", use one as input and the other as output, thus ignoring the 110/220V connections

I have some small "Christmas light turners" (the kind you replace a light in your Christmas light set with and it spins your ornaments on the tree) I am trying to drive those motors from a DC power source (batteries) as part of a mobile display. I only need about 3 volts AC (not sure of the current - can't be much)

I have looked a LOTS of DC/AC inverter circuits but they are all designed for 110volts.

ANY help here is really appreciated - I am getting down to the wire on finishing this project.

Thanks SEPP!

Reply to
peterken

Sounds like a good idea - Do you know where I can find a schematic or parts list to do that?

Thanks SEPP!

Reply to
Sepp Spenlinhauer

My answer before was of course inspired by reading you are using a battery, so a DC supply Otherwise you *might* consider using the transformer Tam suggests, it's alot simpler of course

To build a 50/60Hz oscillator you might just use a simple 555 integrated timer, schematics are all over to find Output current *might* be enough for driving directly what you want

IF using the suggested 1:1 transformer *DON'T* forget clamping diodes, otherwise you might damage the 555 due to voltage spikes

good luck

Thanks SEPP!

Reply to
peterken

Hi Sepp,

You could build a simple blocked oscillator using an old transformer core. To see how that is done check National's AN-288. Has to be 60Hz though, not the high frequency they suggest. If you can find an old transformer with enough symmetrical taps you may not even have to wind anything.

Other than that, even a 74HC chip as an oscillator could work. They'll go down to 3V easily and you can parallel gates for more power as long as they are all in the same package. If it all hums or buzzes too much you might need some low pass filtering so that the familiy rendition of Silent Night is not disturbed by noises.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg