Data logger using PDA - advice needed

Hi there

I am looking for some advice as to where to start to put my iPaq 2200 to work as a datalogger.

As a person with little electronics knowledge and experience (but I am willing to learn), I want to connect the following:

signal -> voltage -> multiplexer -> RS232 (or USB) interface -> iPaq ->

CF card

I am looking to log about 10 channels at 5-10Hz. I can probably deal with the signal to voltage interfaces, some being frequency to voltage, others temperature, others pressure etc.

I have downloaded the Microsoft eMbedded tools (VB and C++) which will (hopefully) allow me to write an application for the iPaq.

My question for you guys is; can anyone point me in the right direction for circuit diagrams/designs for multiplexers that can connect via RS232 or USB? Or even a DIY project to do the whole job.

Thanks in advance

PP

Reply to
Pashlipops

I'd usually start with Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar

and maybe

Homer J Simpson

Google for USB ad convertor Hits galore.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

National Instruments may be a good place to start.

...jerry

Reply to
Jerry R

Also over at Measurement Computing or Dataq. All three offer inexpensive USB A/D interfaces and some amount of free application software or application libraries to go with them.

The OP will need to determine which best fits his needs and budget. I've been pretty happy with Measurement Computing's offerings, since their Universal Library lets me develop PC-side user interfaces quite easily.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

You might want to check out Dataq's cheap (US$25) A/D module at:

This interfaces through the serial port and comes with Windows data logger software. Don't know if it will work with the iPaq. This Dataq product has been around in various forms for many years, so I'm guessing that by now the software interface may be well-hacked... you may be able to make a driver for your own software. I looked into this myself back when the thing was new, (and free!) but the interface was more than I wanted to hack out at the time.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta