Creating sparks with a mosfet and ignition coil

*crunch*

Ah, ok.

I built it with an astable multivibrator (with discrete transistors, haha) and at 50% duty cycle at around 100 Hz, it kinda sorta sparked. I'm guessing the 10uF (440V) dual A/C cap was too big.

I wanted to just take the cap off, but I know I risk barbecuing my irf530.

I tried just manually touching the 12V wires to the cap, and got nice sparks (but also got impressive sparks just on the 12V wires too).

I need 1 uF, huh.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Oops, correction: I tried manually touching the ignition coil primary to my 12V battery...

Reply to
mrdarrett

yeah, that's the normal ignition system capacitor size.

energy in a capacitor is 0.5V^2/C

So reducing the capacitance by a factor of 10 has the potential to boost the voltage by a factor of sqrt(10) which is about 3

if you measured the peak voltage seen across the MOSFET that may give some clue as to how much lower you can go in capacitance.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

I bought a 1uf cap from Radio Shack and at first I got beautiful sparks. Then after I felt my MOSFET to see if it was hot, it didn't work anymore. I disconnected the coil and replaced it with a 12v auto light bulb which worked fine. Kind of puzzled.

Oh and my DMM said I get voltages of hundreds, sometimes 1000+ volts across the cap. (Maybe my cap is dead?)

Reply to
mrdarrett

Oddly, the sparks are nice without any cap at all. My MOSFET doesn't even get hot, at least during my 5-second trials.

Reply to
mrdarrett

sounds about right.

you used a polarized Electro didn't you?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

its not a polarized cap. It is a metalized film cap.

Reply to
mrdarrett

Since I am having so much trouble with a cap, would a Schottky in parallel with the coil primary be enough to protect my irf530 mosfet?

Reply to
mrdarrett

That'll make a single spark. In ignition systems ringing is desirable. ...Jim Thompson

Oh I won't mind a single spark too much, since I'm generating them at 100 Hz anyway. :p

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett