Creating sparks with a mosfet and ignition coil

I would like to generate a series of ~1000 volt sparks continuously, for several hours, using a spare automotive ignition coil I have lying around.

I found this 555 circuit online:

My questions: (1) Is a 500-volt MOSFET really necessary? Would a 100-volt IRF530 work alright without frying?

(2) Does the 0.1 uF, 250V capacitor take the place of a Schottky snubber diode? Which is preferable?

(3) Would this circuit work properly for several hours, or would something (the coil, the mosfet) give up?

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Change C4 to 1uF 100V, then use IRF530... should be OK.... no warranties, express or implied ;-)

Hard to know, the circuit is a mess of uncontrol. ...Jim Thompson

One microfarad! Huh. Ok!

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

A guess based on inductive energy, the original C4 value at 250V ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Should I add a Schottky snubber diode in parallel with the primary coil, for extra MOSFET protection? Or would that interfere with the cap?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

That will interfere with the energy transfer. ...Jim Thompson

The link incorrectly states that "Energy flows back and forth resonantly between the magnetic field in the coil and the electric field in the capacitor, with a period given approximately by 2 pi x Sq. Rt. (LxC), the energy decaying rapidly as energy is transferred to the secondary side spark and to the wiring resistance."

This would certainly be the case if there was no spark at the secondary. As soon as there is a spark you have to switch in a new circuit model with a low resistance which rapidly absorbs the stored energy. So only the first part (less than T/4) of a sinusoid is seen after switching.

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

yes, it should be used for maximum effect!

It's a controlled release. In other words, it does not completely clamp the voltage, which is why you need a High Voltage fet.

Should work just fine.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Okie doke! Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Back in the day (late '60s, early '70s) when I worked for the auto industry, the voltage across the breaker points in the primary of a mechanical-type system could easily go over

300V. I don't recall checking the equivalent in the electronically-switched types, but they did put out a lot more secondary volts. So you probably ought to stick with the 500V part.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v7.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Ok, I will! It's time to place another order with Mouser anyway...

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The voltage across the points (_and_ the effective spark voltage) is a function of the value of the capacitor across the points.

Here's my basic self-inverting CD ignition from the 1968-1973 time frame...

when I was designing chips for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and American Motors... you do remember American Motors don't you ?:-} (Mitt Romney's father, George W. Romney.) ...Jim Thompson

Bipolar transistor? Why?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Power/DMOS MOSFET's didn't exist in 1970.

To further complicate matters, the HV NPN's of the day had lousy beta, as in ~3 at IC=5.5A

So the tricky part, not shown, was how I developed a chip to calculate IC from IE measured at ground, to get the current trip point to stay right at 5.5A irrespective of temperature.

With today's Power MOSFET's it's a trivial task. ...Jim Thompson

                           #BringBackOurBalls

I have a dual 60+10 uF, 440V capacitor I salvaged from the AC unit after installing a new cap. Would this work alright?

I finally have some spare time and maybe I can build this with parts I have lying around (irf530, dual cap, etc.)

Could you give the equations which would dictate the voltage across the spark gap and the voltage across the mosfet, as a function of capacitance?

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

[snip]

For a typical automotive coil (from a point type ignition), ~1uF is the proper value... NON-electrolytic.

L*I^2 = C*V^2 dominates until the secondary "sparks"

And you need to time shut-off based on coil current.

I ought to write that up one of these days ;-) ...Jim Thompson

L*I^2 = C*V^2... V is Vds across the mosfet, right? So, the greater the C, the lower the V (which keeps my mosfet from frying), right?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Correct, And also limits the spark voltage. ...Jim Thompson

What is the governing equation for the spark voltage as a function of capacitor value?

Reply to
mrdarrett

It's a function of primary/secondary/mutual inductance. Can someone provide modern data? Everything I have dates to 1973 when I last designed ignition systems for the automobile industry. ...Jim Thompson