counter circuit help needed

I'm looking for some help with a counting circuit.

I have a schematic from an OLD Radio Shack book that drives a 7490 with a 555. The 7490 dumps into a 7448, which in turn displays the number on a

7-segment LED.

I need a similar circuit that will count DOWN from a predefined number

- say 255 using DIP switches to set the number in binary.

The problem is, I have been unable to find anything on the internet.

I plan to use a matched pair of LEDs (IR emitter/receiver) to count objects passing a point rather than the 555 timer portion of the circuit. And I need a RESET button to send the count back to 255 or what ever number is preconfigured by the DIP switches.

Can anyone help me out?

Silvester

Reply to
Silvester

Go to the "housewares" or "kitchen aids" department of your local supermarket or general store, and get a digital kitchen timer for about $10.00.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Silvester" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

You can use the 74LS191 for binary up/down counting. Two pieces cascaded will count up/down the 0-255 range and you can use dipswitches for the preset. It will not be very easy to make a decimal readout but you can use binary - using LEDs - instead. Guess you'd best start downloading the appropriate datasheet.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Electronics is really not my thing. I can assemble a schematic, but not design a circuit.

Is there any chance you could set me up with a schematic of what you are thinking?

Reply to
Silvester

Three of '190 or '192 would count in BCD, so you could go to 999, if you wanted to.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--- From:

"Summarize what you're following up.

When you click "Reply" under "show options" to follow up an existing article, Google Groups includes the full article in quotes, with the cursor at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start typing your message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and remove parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get through your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your reply appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get the gist of what you're talking about."

In other words, be considerate and leave a little of the article you're responding to in your reply, and bottom post. That makes it easy for us all to see to whom and to what you're responding without having to backtrack through the header trail to see where you're coming from.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--
I\'ve posted a schematic on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.
Reply to

Take a look at the following kit to see if it will work for you:

ehsjr

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:26:44 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Could you post it again, or the link to the non binary access workaround?

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

--
Sure. It\'s on abse with a few mods. :-)
Reply to

On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:09:30 -0500, John Fields Gave us:

Cool.

Funny, I worked for the premiere pharmaceutical tablet counter maker at one time (hole in the wall 12 employees).

It had 16 optical channels, and only got one parallax error per one thousand pill drops, if it ever got any.

It was possible though as two pills could pass a sensor together and be read as one, though rare. They were LEDs and detectors in 16 circumferentially placed pill channels sitting under a cone.

Pour pills in at top, and stop when your prescription number is reached. All channel count up and add to show in the display. Pull drawer out pour into bottle.

Pharmacists that had the bucks didn't have to scrape fives with the pill ladle!

Anyway... thanks.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Now, a lot of the drug companies pre-package in common quantities. The medicine that I get from the VA is all pre-packaged for either 30 or

90 days.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They just weigh my pills to count 'em at my local pharmacy. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I don't have to go to a pharmacy. I log in to

and click on the refills that I need. They show up in my mailbox a few days later. Very handy, since the nearest VA pharmacy is over 100 miles away.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida