Correct DC motor size/power?

Generally speaking. If the DC motor being used is bogging down at times, will using a slightly more powerful DC motor actually use less power? If you want details, no problem, it's for my next push stick.

N04/ (sign removed)

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

532210N04/ (sign removed)

No. There is no general motor in your photo. It looks like a solenoid actuator. Is it? Bogging down is not a general term. Be specific. A coil of wire might carry a bigger DC in a stalled situation if the permanent magnet is gone from the coil. In that case, yes, a bigger linear actuator would use less current because the permanent magnet is positioned correctly and is moving at a rate that is within spec. A smaller setup could push the permanent magnet out of position and stop there, causing excessive I.

Reply to
Globemaker

It is an 18 VDC motor, from a DeWalt right angle drill.

The word "bog" is a common United States English term, usually used with the word "down". It means "it is being impeded, it should be running faster".

Maybe I will stick a multimeter on it and measure current while in use.

--
> A coil of wire might carry a bigger DC in a stalled situation if
> the permanent magnet is gone from the coil. In that case, yes, a
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Doe

If the DC motor being used is bogging down

No.

Reply to
Globemaker

Yes. Compare torque vs. efficiency curves of the two motors.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

532210N04/ (sign removed)

Yes or No, depending on the magnitudes of "slightly" and "bogging". The deWalt motor sizes might be 0.5 hp, 1 hp, 1.5 hp so the magnitude of "slightly" might be 50%. The magnitude of "bogging" is not measurable with common garage instruments.

Reply to
Globemaker

(sign removed)

--
Yes, there is.

It's right-angle drive and the wheel is connected to it.
Reply to
John Fields

From the photos, it looks like you are capable of excellent construction. Make sure that part of that construction is using fat conductors from the battery and switch to the motor. When a motor bogs down it draws more current, which creates a greater voltage drop in the conductors. The bigger the conductor, the lower the voltage drop. I have no idea what is practical for your design, but I'd use the biggest size copper wire that you can in your machine. If the connections to the battery or motor are getting hot, you are dropping voltage at those points, too. Some amount of heating cannot be avoided, but the better the connection, the less heat will be produced, and the lower the voltage drop.

Perfecting the construction of the electrical path from the battery to the motor is something you may have already done. If not, doing that will be beneficial, regardless of which motor (or battery) you use.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Thanks for the compliment.

Reply to
John Doe

(sign removed)

So, essentially you have not much, if not zero real experience.

If you torque load one of said motors, it (they) can typically 'grind through' the load (do I need to explain that one to you as well?), if the battery is running low, OR the torque load too high, the motor will 'BOG DOWN', nearing zero rpm, and approaching the current limits of the windings..

Only a complete retard would fail to comprehend the term, or a fresh out of school, zero experience ditz. OR some math inclined dopey dork that cannot function without running a formula through his 'wee bwain', always failing to catch parasitic effects or numerous other elements of the scenario by getting stuck on their own worse than layman grasp of common use terms. Maybe you also need to look up the word GRASP.

The problem did not require any quantisization whatsoever. Solving it, does however. require at least a slight GRASP of the real world and the terms those of us that work within it use.

Since I do not 'see' you backing out of the enormous shit pile you just created and then went swimming in, I have no way of knowing if you will ever 'get it'. Get it? Yet? Word boy? Instead of spending your time criticizing a query, you should have spent some time trying to actually grasp what was being asked.

Since I doubt you'll change direction, as the mass of stubborn skull bone is quite high, and your weakness suggests that you will not, you can simply FOAD.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Excellent observation (observational skill) and cons ice post (observational presentation) regarding it!

Something you have consistently done in the groups you frequent, and some folks that remain in Usenet still miss a lot. Good post.

I would only suggest that like some of the robot folks have found, even though some may argue against the claim, SPC (Silver plated Copper) might grab a few more percentage bits of efficiency.

In fact, instead of one large SPC wire, several hand bundled smaller guys together end up giving more Silver in the path, and a bit better (Litz like even)pulse response. May the arguments ensue.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

ehsjr is right on target. The RC electric plane guys use heavy guage wire, 12awg? maybe 10. And that?s for very short runs of 2 - 6". Helps to eliminate the voltage drop so the motor sees more power, and perhaps a little longer run time.

Martin Riddle

.(sign removed)

it,

r time

is this a flame, that i have heard rumours about? very entertaining. there is one point with which exception may be taken: when you referenced "nearing zero rpm" it seems that this is implied to be an asymptotic approach and not a complete stoppage. is that accurate?

Reply to
Globemaker

Your grasp of the entire realm is nil.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Thanks. His project is intriguing. On a good day, I could fill a thimble with what I know about inline skating - maybe. :-) The idea of "driving" on them powered by a small rechargeable source & tool motor is fascinating. I hope he'll post more.

Let's hope not. There's often too much argument, and too little discussion. :-(

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I plan to post more pictures over however many months it takes, starting with making it lighter and/or more powerful.