Connector rant

Sorry I spent part of the morning looking for a connector.. pcb-pcb right angle.
So why are connectors more expensive than opamps?

And why is a 2X8 connector ~$1.50 cheaper than it's 2X6 brother?
https://octopart.com/search?q66%953-008lf
https://octopart.com/search?q66%953-006lf

Does anyone have a favorite connector brand?  We've got some Amphenol types
in stock and after being overwhelmed with the choices on Digikey I narrowed
down to those.

George H.

Re: Connector rant
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:33:57 -0800 (PST), George Herold

Samtec ?

Cheers

Re: Connector rant
I saw them on Digikey.  I don't know are they OK?

We don't use many inter board connectors.
(I could describe my best layout style as;
opamps on a pcb behind the front panel with switches
and pots.  Which leads to kinda big front panels.)

George H.

Re: Connector rant
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 16:06:04 -0800 (PST), George Herold

Samtec makes excellent stuff. Not the cheapest, but very good.

I'm doing a front panel now, with a big gorgeous color LCD, a spinner
knob, and a zillion back-lit pushbuttons. Melrose Nameplate is making
a custom molded silicone pushbutton array for us, with detents and
carbon-button contacts. V-bite BNC connectors.

It's gonna be beautiful. We may do several instruments on that
foundation.

Re: Connector rant
Thanks, I don't need the cheapest, Samtec came up when I sorted by
price on DK.
This is a right angle contact between two pcb's.
I haven't done it that much before, except for an
instrument I took over... from which I learned
to fit it all together and in the end, solder in the
switches and such.
I'm still laying it out.  Getting all the mechanicals
right in 3D is a pain.  (I'll probably make an electrical
error on the first try too..)

Sounds nice, using the same bits in different ways makes
it all cheaper.

George H.

Re: Connector rant
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 18:10:31 -0800 (PST), George Herold

We'll use a ribbon cable to connect the front-panel board to the main
board. That lets us hop over all the electronics and connectors at the
front of the main board. And no alignment dims to calculate.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Connector rant

I'm not quite visualizing how the V-bites work there--are they on the
main board or do the BNCs come out the top of the box?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

They are on the horizontal main board and sneak through holes in the
front panel just below the vertical front-panel board.

The front panel is, in order

Sticker

punched metal plate

Melrose silicone pushbutton array with carbon pads

PC board with pushbutton contact pads on one side, down-firing LEDs on
the other

Silly baby board for the encoder

and the LCD sandwiched in there somewhere.

FTDI makes a cool smart LCD controller chip that we can talk to SPI,
through the ribbon cable.

I'll post pics when it's all done.

Re: Connector rant

I usually use FFCs, or SIP leadframes for very small stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: Connector rant
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:33:57 -0800 (PST), George Herold

Not exactly on topic, but why the hell can't they give me some clue as
to how micro-usb connectors align in the dark with maybe a little bit
of a tactile hint?  My eyesight just isn't what it once was..

And while we're at it, what idiot came up with the idea of using those
puny little connectors for recharge ports anyway?  Recharging is done
so often that the connector will wear out before either the battery or
tablet (I'm on my third cable).  The coax plug is far more robust and
has no wrong orientation.

And polarized two wire mains plugs?  Ditto, a tactile projection on
the plug would sure make that easier.

Works with airplanes.. you don't have to look to tell which lever your
hand is resting on.  (you better look - but you don't have to)

Re: Connector rant

I'll try and plug the big usb's in the wrong way up, but that's
pretty easy to feel.
I've replaced the usb plug on two nexus 7's (owned by my kids.)
It get's easier the second time around.

George H.

Re: Connector rant

In the dark? They are ambiguous enough in the light.

I put red paint dots on connectors and cameras to orient them.

USB3 wull be ambidextrous, after all these years.

Ironic, that word "Universal."

Blame Intel.