Connection from camera to TV

Due to a recent theft, I want to get this B/W security camera going.

At one time, I had the output going to my TV.

The one pic shows the connector at the other end of the camera cabling.

My TV has a video input using a RCA connector.

Is there some adaptor I need?

AK

The camera has a BNC (bayonet type) connector that won't pull loose; that's important for such cameras if they're mounted in out-of-the-way places. The cable from camera to TV should be BNC on both ends, IMHO, with a BNC/RCA adapter at the TV. There are digital recorders with BNC inputs that usually serve such cameras,

Reply to
whit3rd

You could solder an RCA plug onto the cable instead.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I would call it a BNC Female to RCA male adapter, but look at a picture to be sure of what you are getting.

With shipping, ten may cost as much as one. I didn't look for it, but it may also be possible to find cables with the appropriate connectors on them if you need to lengthen the wire run.

Reply to
default

I ordered the 10 piece pack for $7.

I should not run out. :-)

Andy

Reply to
AK

I had to increase the length of a camera cable and found coax, BNC M to BNC M cables and it was cheaper to use a F-F adapter at the camera end. So I bought ten.....

Reply to
default

I should have posted this also.

What are my recording options?

I have a computer but would probably need some kind of card for the video input from the camera.

I found a DVR with hard drive, but do not need the "fancy stuff" like monitoring it via my smart phone.

I would like:

  1. Record the video
  2. Play it back on my tv
  3. Be able to copy videos to an outside source like SD card

Thanks, Andy

Andy

Reply to
AK

There are lots of point-and-shoot cameras, with movietaking modes, that can do all of that; expect to pay $10 or so at thrift stores... you'll need to supply power, and tend the camera (it stops when it fills its SD card), and there's often a special cord to connect it to a computer (USB) or television (HDMI, composite video, USB... depends on the TV). Wireless (WiFi) is sometimes available, too.

For something that does set-and-forget monitoring, the dedicated boxes with hard drives are more convenient. Your camera probably came with one of these. It's only money...

Somewhere inbetween are the wildlife-camera items; low power, motion sensing with timestamps. Search for 'critter cam' is productive.

Reply to
whit3rd

I rigged a few cameras to do time lapse photography. In one case it was a $10 point and shoot and a $20. (both new) It took a fair amount of arm wavin' and hed skrachen to get them working. I used a programmable controller to:

Turn on the camera and wait for it to initialize, snap the picture, shut down, delay (variable set with switches) repeat, and check the light levels so it would shut down at night..

Both cameras (in that price class at least) just wrote over the pictures in memory. The $10 version held ~100 pix (90-100) and the $20 about 1,000. The $20 had another eccentricity that the controller had to handle - the more stored pictures it had, the longer it took to initialize.

I mounted them at the bow of my kayak, attached to bridges, near boat ramps, busy shopping centers, city hall, etc.. High tech voyeurism. Water proofing was a challenge.

Reply to
default

I got the adapter in today.

It works great. Hooked it up to my TV.

The camera is a bit old, Black and White and maybe 720p resolution.

But any perp could be easily identified.

:-)

Andy

"It is always too soon to quit."

Rick Warren