Connection Car Radio to a computer Power Supply ?

Hey !

I'm trying to do that thing and I don't even know if it is possible ... Powering a car radio with a computer power supply ?

- The Radio is powered by those :

- Power Source from the 'inside' ( Sorry, not very clear )

For 1 Connector : "its actually 3 pins in the middle (white), and 2 X 2 pins on both sides ( left and right, gray or black plastic) "

- Power Supply main wires ( the ones used to power the motherboard )

I have no idea if I can achieve this, any ideas/tips/how to would be appreciated ! If I need to provide more pictures, I will do so .. !

Thanks,

Nem

Reply to
nemzaroth

It's very possible of you have some electronics knowledge , otehr wise go buy a switch mode supply from a Ham supply shop , if don't have knowledge and experience those switch modes can kill you as the internal voltages are lethal.

Reply to
atec77

Most AT power supplies have 12 VDC output - maybe enough to run a car radio.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

No.

There is absolutely no reason to run the car radio off a switching supply. The radio will not require that much current. The power supply will generate noise, which may affect reception. The power supply may not even work until you start loading it down, because they expect a current drain that is higher than the radio needs.

A switching supply is overkill.

The poster can build or buy a cheap linear power supply, and that will supply enough current without any issues.

ANd by the way, the lethal voltages in a switching supply stay in the box. They will never be seen unless the guy has to repair them. He will never have to open the box if he is trying to use it to run something.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

yes, probably.

I've not looked at the pictures, but assuming it's a stabdard ATX powersupply

the yellow wire is 12V the black is ground, connect the green wire on the motherboard connector to the black wire to make the powersupply run.

If the radio has a clock or "station presets" or an "anti-theft system" it'll want to have the powersupply running all the time which could prove annoying.

good luck.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

The radio should work, but you may get unnacceptable amounts of RF interference from the power supply.

  \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel