Connecting 200 LEDs to AC (120V)?

Hi All,

I am planning to remove the light fixture from one of our rooms and put

200 LEDs instead. LEDs are going to be:

Reverse Voltage:5.0 V DC Forward Voltage: Typical: 3.4 V Max: 3.8V DC Forward Current:20mA

How can I connect them all to a AC outlet (110V or 120V? in Canada).

I believe I need to put a "bridge rectifier" to prevent blinking and they should be mixture of parallel and series.

Thanks if advance,

Homer

Reply to
Homer

Why?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

The same reason that people put Halogen instead of old bulbs. it's cool and looks better (in my point of view)

Homer J Simps>

Reply to
Homer

Don't top-post. Just buy LED bulbs. Don't build your own. Did you ask how to connect tungsten wire by yourself to 120V instead of buying incandescent bulbs?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

That's not really a fair comparison. A fair comparison would be someone asking to build their own (120V) Chrismahanukwansika lights by stringing together a bunch of low voltage (e.g., 6V) bulbs...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Well, no, you wouldn't, because you can't buy vacuum in small quantities. (;-)

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

LED's aren't rated to go open circuit on 110 VAC. I'd use a transformer. Yes, you'll need a bridge rectifier unless you wire them back to back which means twice as many.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"Homer" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Four strings of 25 LEDs in series each with a 1k2/1W series resistor. These strings in parallel and connected to the rectifier.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

You USED to be able to, though...I remember the local drugstore had small glass vials of vacuum available for sale, right next to some electronic thingy that was supposed to be able to test them and (I guess) tell you if the vacuum inside them was still good....

Ah, those were the days...

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

I do not believe that you would be able to connect 10 Leds together and make them look good, let alone 200 of them.

So, before I am interested, I would like to see some aesthetic proof of concept.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Well at the risk of telling you how to do something that might get you electricuted if you dont know what your doing ...

You could try and string 25 leds in series, this gives 90v fwd, youl have 8 of these strings conect them in parallel pairs, then conect two of those pairs in anti parallell add a series resistor wich I estimate about 250 ohms, but might be best to start with say 1k

repeat for the other 4 strings.

conect to safety isolated 115 supply, stand well back, push switch with a long broom, ... fetch fire extinguisher, wish youd got some1 watching at a safe distance to ring for ambulance ...

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Exactly, but that is just your own perception of things. I also have a large volume of empty head and would have problems with selling it due to the packaging.

However, I am sure that you might be able to create the experience.

NOM - No Offence Meant DNA

Yes, I know about the Governers attempted homosexual adventures with what turned out to be a woman. Is it relevant to your 10% or your new request for

15%?. Is it relevant that your wife makes a really poor man?

I can get this built next door. Ugly Bitch.

This e-mail in no way represents the opinions of any people who might be made to look bad if they were associated with it unless you were the person who was meant to receive it in the first place which is OK because we have more dirt on you than you would care to imagine and we'll make some more up and it will stick.

If you have received this e-mail in error then please delete it immediately. Do not even consider the possibilities. The consequences are something you do not need to deal with.

Thank You

Reply to
Genome
120 x 1.414 gives 170V peak after the rectifier. So I'd try 4 strings of 50.
Reply to
BobG

Buy? What, are you crazy? When I was a kid we had to make our own vacuum with homemade hand cranked vacuum pumps! Of course, the jerry rigged diffusion pumps were a lot harder to crank, to finish off our home brew CRTs!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In message , dated Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Michael A. Terrell writes

You had hand-cranked vacuum pumps? We had to get six kids into line to suck simultaneously.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

colin ha escrito:

I have conected 5 strings of 34 white LEDs (5mm) to a rectifier bridge with a current regulator (LM317HV)(for each string) and it works fine...

Reply to
Simon Dice

"petrus bitbyter" schreef in bericht news:45085bbc$0$12703$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader18.news.xs4all.nl...

Oops. 200 LEDs require 8 strings of 25.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Transformers are not rated to go open circuit on 110 VAC either.

Reply to
nospam

Only six? That must have really sucked!

prove it.