Compact Fluorescent Bulbs Shock When Unplugged

I got a shock from a compact fluorescent light bulb when it was unplugged. The lamp fell to the floor and broke. I unplugged it before cleaning up the broken glass. When I tried to unscrew the bulb base from the socket, a high voltage shocking pain made me jump away. WARNING! Compact fluorescent lightbulbs are dangerous when not plugged in . Tell the world, tell the department stores. Not Safe to Use. They cause radio interference. They buzz in the audio spectrum using air waves to send sound to peoples' ears. Do not buy them. 2000 volts are stored in a capacitor.

Reply to
Globemaker

And they cause members of the Great Unwashed to post spam to newsgroups, too.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Em s=E1bado, 28 de maio de 2011 09h41min11s UTC-3, Globemaker escreveu:

I once also took an electrical shock but do not know if I had to 2000V

Reply to
Tobias Gadelha

In related news, shuffling across a carpet causes a high voltage, and touching a light switch can produce pain as a result...

No CF lamp or associated electronics stores enough energy to cause a hazard; a switched-off light fixture, on the other hand, usually has ONE unswitched wire going straight into the wall socket.

Reply to
whit3rd

Most are more concerned about the mercury.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

:

I did not measure the 2000 volts. Search engines brought me a figure of 1200v on start up and 700v running. It was much more powerful than carpet static. Maybe a carpet has 23 pf and a CFL has 230000 pf.

Reply to
Globemaker

When I got a shock, I was opening the electrical circuit of CF after than o= peration and I touched on the circuit. Of course than I got a shock, but never shock on the external poles=20

Reply to
Tobias Gadelha

And why is it they're unconcerned about the mercury in the normal fluorescent tubes we've been using for decades now?

There's movie clips of people running or riding through hundreds of standard 4' tubes without a care about the mercury in them.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Actually they are. I know it's fun but you aren't supposed to break the tubes by tossing them into the trash. You take the unbroken tubes to a designated disposal location.

The difference between tubes and CFLs is that the tubes aren't nearly as as popular as screw in bulbs in residential lighting.

There isn't a release if you don't break the tubes.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

"Globemaker"

I did not measure the 2000 volts.

** I bet you didn't.

Search engines brought me a figure of 1200v on start up and 700v running.

** Those figures could be right for a large ** CCFL ** .

A "Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp " - as found in most LCD screens for PCs and home TV.

Got nothing at all to do with a *CFL* .

Wanker.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well with all the moving around of lamps and such on my bench and other places I tend to break a lot of them, so considering how expensive the good ones are to save money I might as well go back to regular bulbs. :-)

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York

Reply to
Searcher7

Stock up! I am.

Reply to
krw

How many? Or are you afraid Dimbulb will try to steal them?

Michael A. Terrell

Incandescent bulbs are being phased out in Europe, Brazil, and Australia. USA is a war criminal due to mass murders in Iraq Afghanistan Libya Pakistan Panama Somalia Vietnam Cherokee See UN resolution 3314 concerning War of Aggression See this link about light bulbs being phased out:

Hording is not fair.

Reply to
Globemaker

--
Wording is important.
Reply to

Couple hundred, now. I buy a few packs when I'm in Lowes. DimBulb isn't bright enough.

Reply to
krw

Another moron in the competition for the DimBulb-Slowman award.

Reply to
krw

CFLs are just a transitional device. In a few short years LED bulbs will be cheaper, safer and more energy efficient than CFLs.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Looked at the price of europium lately?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Is that the Europeon version of the Hopeium the Democrats have been smoking?

Reply to
krw