Cold Plasma Speakers

I wonder if a plasma loudspeaker could use a mechanism similar to a stun gun. The spark from a stun gun does not produce any perceptible heat in close proximity because -- despite being a 100,000 volts -- the power is not enough to raise temperature sufficiently to burn the skin.

That being said, the stun gun does make sound when it sparks. I assume that an equipment similar to the stun gun could be engineered so that it could produce sparks that would cause the intended sound [e.g. speech or music].

Conventional plasma speakers produce sparks that reach as high as 2,000 Celsius.

If an high-voltage, low-amperage electric current of 1,000 Hz frequency is passed through air, a 1,000 Hz tone will result.

Reply to
Radium

be stuck up your arse ?

I bet that would make some noise !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

First, you have to figure out where in Hell you can get some "cold plasma". Plasma is hotter than hot, almost by definition.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Primarily because this is sci.electronics.basics, where there is no such thing as a stupid question.

And please learn to bottom-post.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sorry. I think "plasma" is the wrong word, then. By "plasma speaker", I meant a speaker that generates sound by using electricity of an analogous frequency and passing the electric current through the air. In order for electricity to flow through a tough insulator, like air, the voltage needs to be at least 50 kV. If the electric current flowing through the air, has a frequency of 1,000 Hz, it will produce an audible 1,000 Hz tone.

Reply to
Radium

2000. Try it.

John

Very nice.

Just like incandescent lamps. :-)
Reply to
John Fields

True if you drive the plsma arc with straight audio.

But when a carrier is used, or - if there is a calass A amplifier mode available - the zero audio state is a 50% current AKA "Bias". Then the audio, ac wise, modulates the current to be greater or lesser.. etc.

Angelo Campanella

Reply to
Angelo Campanella

Look here Mr Pea Brain. You appear to recognise that this 'plasma' will need both volts and amps.

That means power, which means heat. So, no cold plasma.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Of course ! Power has no polarity.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Mike Rieves" wrote in news:O2aEg.14551$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

A sociopathic swine, and contemptable piece of human waste, by the name Mike (Porky) Rieves, who is demonstrably devoid of moral conscience and all generally accepted standards of ethical behavior, just farted and bestowed upon us the above echo.

Reply to
Echo