Coils

Buy your enamelled copper wire on plastic drums and make sure you can get at the start of the winding before you hand over the cash.

Reply to
Ian Field

This is great. I'm familiar with Lindsay - I've gotten books from them before. Thank you for this link.

--
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
		-- Booker T. Washington

I'm sure there's some way to do it, but I'm not sure *I* could do it. I'm not mechanically gifted.

I really got taken with this "coil winder," I think. It's mostly just a fast, powerful (1/7 HP) motor on a platform, with a chuck and a counter. I cannot imagine how anyone could have used the thing for winding coils. OTOH, it *is* a nice, big motor that could probably be useful for something. Maybe a Van de Graaff generator or something...

--
Rarely do people communicate; they just take turns talking.
Reply to

Since the motor is a 10,000 rpm motor I assume it is either a DC motor or a "universal" motor. Like a drill motor. I have used lamp dimmers on these types of motors. Properly rated for the current the motor draws they work well and are cheap. And they are PWM devices so the torque will stay pretty constant. Even though the cheap ones are made for resistive loads only according to the package I have never had one fail prematurely. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Must be some expensive house whole dimmers? Most I've seen are phase angle firing with triacs or quadacs.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Whoops! You're right Jamie. The cheap ones are as you describe. I do have some 12 volt PWM motor controllers that I built myself from kits and was thinking of those. Nevertheless, the cheap lamp dimmers do work pretty well for controlling the speed of universal motors. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I've wound several coils to keep my pinball machines going. Usually on a c= ardboard or plastic core. Core diameter about 3/8 inches, final coil diame= ter a little over an inch.

I own an old metal lathe that can be run as slow as 50 RPM. Bought a cheap= click type counter and attached it to the lathe so I can count revolutions= . I feed the magnet wire by letting it slip through my hands. After you'v= e would your second one, they come out rather pretty.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

And see how this guy uses a cheap calculator as a turns counter?! Genius!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That sort of thing wasn't uncommon 35 years ago, once there were cheap calculators. One could also use a pedometer, now made cheap since they've become faddish, and thus available in cereal and garage sales.

Of course, one could just strip an old cassette deck, and use the counter from that, so long as one could properly connect it to the rest of the mechanism.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

(...)

calculators.

and > thus available in cereal and garage sales.

I bought a couple for just that use. Unfortunately they stop working properly at lower battery voltage and the 'calculator' solution yields a unit with a larger display anyway.

that, so long as one could properly

Thassa lot of work. I'd go as far as putting an opto interrupter wired across the "=" key of a dollar store calculator but not much more. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

calculators.

faddish, and

er from that, so long as one could properly

A colleague made a magnetic quadrature counter that could do direction.... which is nice if you want to take a few turns off. (Hall sensors and two magnets)

The electronics were made for a different signal.

You get four counts per revolution.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

calculators.

faddish, and

from that, so long as one could properly

Wow! I was just getting used to the ultra-fine divisions in regular encoder wheels and you show me an apparatus with sub-wavelength resolution! Incredible!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You're welcome. I'm in the early stages of design to build one with stepper motors and an Arduino board to control them. There is also EMC/Linux CNC that could be used with an old PC.

Michael A. Terrell

Skycraft surplus has used a four banger on their wire measuring machine for a long time. It was old when I first saw it in 1987. Instead of a mechanical cam, the calculator was hacked and the switch was part of the mechanics.

Michael A. Terrell

p calculators.

e faddish, and

nter from that, so long as one could properly

Grin... sure but it costs a bit more than an encoder wheel. Each count is 1/8th of the wavelength, less than 100nm... does that count as nanotech? :^) What I hadn't known about the quadrature technique is that the (phase) noise stays all on the 'rim' of the circle. I guess that's 'obvious' in retrospect.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

(...)