Circuit Pen?

Are Circuit Pen's as useful as they sound? I'd like to create my own circuit boards. Since I'm just learning and only doing one-offs, I'd prefer to keep the total cost down. Are they "good enough" to do full circuit boards, or are they mostly for repairs?

Are there brands that are a better value than others? How well does soldering on them work?

Are they typically fine enough for SMD work, such as ATMega328 (0.8mm lead pitch)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sincerely, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

I don't even like them for repairs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Me either.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

They *may* be useful for repairs (read some of the reviews over at Amazon for an example of the class) but they would be hell trying to use to make an original layout for anything with a fine pitch.

You'd be better off getting something like that takes care of the housekeeping (power supply, I/O drivers, etc.) and offers a prototyping area as well as I/O headers or the simpler that's just a "header board." With either, you can access the processor pins for digital I/O, ADC, PWM, or whatever from relatively robust headers out to your own circuitry.

If you want to roll yer own, do it properly by starting with a schematic capture program that produces a "net list" to be used by a PCB layout program. That then makes the "Gerber" files and the drill file that a board house can use to make the real thing.

Kicad is a free (libre and as in beer) integrated package for Windows and Linux that includes schematic capture and PCB layout. If you're on Linux, also look at gEDA There are also "free" tools offered by various board houses but some (most? all?) of those generate a proprietary output, not standard Gerbers, so you're stuck with one vendor.

While many people do still make boards in the kitchen, using techniques like Press'n'Peel Blue or photo-resist, the cost of manufactured boards has come way down. Especially when doing fine pitch and surface mount, you will appreciate having a proper finish on the pads and having a solder mask. Sparkfun and Seeed Studio (among others, these are the ones I'm familiar with) have very low cost batch proto board services. There are also traditional houses (e.g., Sunstone) that do inexpensive prototypes at a faster turn but there is some added cost associated with the speed, of course.

associated with Sparkfun

will do ten 2" x 2" boards for $10. A buck a board!

a more traditional board house that offers turns measured in days instead of weeks but also with more traditional pricing

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yeah, I was hoping to have more control over the form-factor, for specific projects. I don't *need* all of those extra stuff. They will just get in the way.

I have the free version of Eagle. I haven't really used it yet, the learning curve is a bit high, but I'll get over it eventually. I've also been pointed at

recently.

I'm actually on a Mac.

This is what I was considering going with. It's the start-up cost that gets me though. It would cost me $20 for my design, and I think I could do it myself for much cheaper (even if it takes more man-power). Of course, if I design something worth selling to the masses, I could order in bulk and save a lot of money.

Hmm, This one looks good. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not so concerned with turn-around time at the moment. Not at the trade in cost at least.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

Ditto. You can't solder to the ink, for a start. I'd strongly suggest getting the free version of Cadsoft Eagle and sending the boards out to be fabbed. There are some really cheap places, e.g. BatchPCB.com, which charges $2.50 per square inch or thereabouts.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

st

Yup, learn how to solder, you don't need no CAD or PCB places to get started. You can do a lot with pref board and air wire.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

short story- they tend to suck.

like any paint type marker, it's a toss up if the thing will be dried out by the time you get it, or if it does work, will it dump out the entire contents at once.

I'd say just get a pcb etching kit, but that will be pushing it for stuff with fine traces unless you can print the resist somehow.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader