Circuit digram collection

While searching for information on a multiplier IC, I found this useful=20 collection of circuit diagrams:

The AD534 multiplier was used in this interesting circuit which provides =

1000 volts at 300 watts.
ooster.html

I think it is used for a constant wattage output.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Fantastic! This solves the world's energy problems! "it takes 300 mW and turns it into 1000 volts at 300 watts"

That's perpetual motion if I ever saw it, multiplying power by a factor of 1000.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It's the magic (and very expensive) AD534 IC. And I have 30 of them! = I'll=20 become rich and famous!

(actually I didn't notice that)

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Dec 2011 23:51:55 -0500) it happened "P E Schoen" wrote in :

Now there is the solution to the world energy problems :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

y_Circuit/High_volta...

Looks like Pload=3D0.001 x Vload x 10 x Iout=3DW(attage setpoint=3Dmaximum of 10) or Pload=3D100 x Wsetpoint, adjustable from 0 to 1000W, not Volts. So it's an adjustable constant wattage regulator 0-1000W at up to 300V. The zeners on the protection trip look they operate at the AD534 maximum input voltage. Looks they settled on that unusual bootstrapped saturated core self- oscillator to use the off-the-shelf Triad.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The TY 93 is an obsolete transistor inverter xfmr

datasheet specs a 28V primary and 500V output at 250ma.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

What, you've never heard of a "multiplying DAC" before?

Reply to
krw

You can use an ordinary 50 watt toroid rated 120V to 6V at 50/60 Hz, and = run=20 it backwards at 600 Hz to get 1200V out with a 60 VAC input, at 500 = watts.=20 Most iron core transformers, especially toroids, can work up to at least =

1=20 kHz. I have used toroid transformers to drive a special three phase = motor=20 that I rewound from a single phase, using a VF motor controller. The = motor=20 was rewound with much heavier wire so it was still nominally 1/2 HP at = 60=20 Hz, 8 VAC, but I ran it up to about 240 Hz at which point it should be = able=20 to supply 2 HP. And I only needed about 15 turns on the toroids.

Now that was a cool project...

Paul

P E Schoen

"Care should be taken with this circuit because it takes 300 mW and turns it into 1000 volts at 300 watts"

1000 times over unity?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

Actually, according to Always Wrong Missing Prong, aka Hellequin, = prefixes=20 are always capitalized, so that should read 300 MW. A bit inefficient, = but=20 does not violate the laws of physics.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

run

.
1

le

Who would want a variable regulated power output supply like this other than maybe a component tester?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I once built something like this to drive a halogen arc lamp, which = needed=20 constant wattage, but it never quite worked correctly, and the high = voltage=20 got to the AD534 multiplier IC and fried it..

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

aka a Larkin converter ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

In his case 300 MW means 300 'Moron Whats'

Michael A. Terrell

I've never heard of a multiplying DAC that amplifies power. I've never heard of any electrical device that multiplies power. I'm more familiar with the type that has an efficiency value less than 1. That's what makes this device so wonderful!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

This is called a "power amplifier". Of course, it does not multiply the power of its own power supply. :)

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

OK, use one to multiply voltage and another to multiply current. ...but I suppose the results would be in Craftsman watts. ;-)

Reply to
krw

:-)