Chinese Germanium 1N34

Ya better hurry, only two left and he (says) he sold 78. He goes on to say you can get a shipping quote if you want to buy massive quantities. Quantity 1 - $152.58 USD, That's greedy, he should offer free shipping. :-) Mikek

amdx

Looks like you have some gross amount of series resistance and parallel conductance. Not too surprising in a 1N34A!

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nobody said they were ideal.

They are "the best" in some circumstances, which probably at this point means when low forward voltage drop is desired.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

The best RF detector diodes are germanium back diodes, which are actually tunnel diodes with very low peak point currents. They are used "backwards" from the obvious polarity.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

During WWII, we (US and Brits) were using silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide point-contact diodes as mixers up to 30 GHz. One of the RadLab books notes that "a semiconductor triode should be possible."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The point contact is just weird. Here's a plot of the same data but log-log.

My eye wanted to put put two lines through the data, so lines were added by eye. Two power laws?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

So first, here is what mine look like:

except that they don't seem to have any visible marking

Reply to
M. Hamed

Second, I wanted to create a diode curve tracer to test these new diodes using scope X-Y mode. Problem of course that my ramp generator is grounded so I can't probe at two different point pairs.

It's funny how I had all these complicated ideas to solve this problem including using a difference amplifier to convert the voltage difference across the diode to a voltage referenced to ground.

Then I decided to google search, and after 5 mins, it's funny how the solution was way simpler. Plug the function generator into a 3-2 prong adapter. DUH!

Reply to
M. Hamed

That's normal. The so-called 'ideal diode equation' is Shockley's model for a planar diode (i.e. the depletion region is constant area, variable thickness), but a point=contact diode has a depletion region which is a hemisphere around the point of contact (area proportional to R squared).

The Ge point contact diodes worked well, because the low bandgap made impurities relatively benign (and that contact point has to be at the semiconductor surface, which is always dirty). Capacitance was low, and gigahertz operation was easy. Silicon point contact isn't as reliable because there's more dirt sensitivity, and the higher forward voltage means a surface electric field (attracts more dirt).

Shottky diodes for RF are not point-contact types. Are ANY point-contact diodes still in production?

Reply to
whit3rd

Finally, with my scope diode curve tracer, I got some data.

1- A schottky diode (1N5189) -> turns on around .2V and then current goes u p really fast 2- A Germanium diode with clear glass and a green stripe -> turns on around .2V but current rises REALLY slowly with voltage. I knew this already. Ger manium diodes have less steep curve and that's why they have some applicati on in audio.

3- My presumed 1N34 -> turns on around .2V but current rise slower than (1) and faster than (2).

So at this point I wasn't sure, so I dug around for more "clear glass" germ aniums I had. I found one that looks almost identical to diode #2 but with a black stripe rather than a green one. I put it in my test circuit, and th e result is almost identical to #3.

So I can't tell if my diode is 1N34 or not, but I'm positive it could be a Germanium diode since it acts like another Germanium diode.

Time to give the seller positive feedback!

Reply to
M. Hamed

** Well, they are cleary zener diodes - like the link says.

The chip is trapped between two headers to carry heat away.

Small silicon diodes like the 1N4148 look similar.

It sure ain't no point contact type.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ahh OK so as I forward bias it the area of the depletion region changes. (Does it get smaller with forward bias..? Just thinking out loud, I'd guess it gets larger in area with a reverse bias.)

Looking at my rather sketchy data, the slope at low bias is ~1 (in a power law) and ~2.5 or so at higher bias voltages... with the crossover point near 30 mV or so... Near the thermal voltage. (I have no idea if that is significant or not.)

I could only find I-V of reversed biased Ge on a quick web search.

(I like research done before I was born. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Have you ever seen low forward voltage zener diodes? That would be new to me. The forward drop on these are about .2V-.3V

Reply to
M. Hamed

** But the pic IS of some Philips zeners - it damn we says so.

Piss off fool.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A zener by definition is reverse biased.

Using diodes as voltage regulators is not uncommon. Just put a bunch in series to get the desired voltage from the individual voltage drops, and then feed that with a resistor. But it's not a "zener effect".

Germanium diodes can be used the same way, but their forward voltage drop is lower, so unless the desired voltage is low, you'd need more. And the termperature response is different from silicon, and that may be a factor.

It's not uncommon to use a forward biased silicon diode as the sensor in a digital thermometer, the characterstic is well known. I can't remember if germanium diodes were used that way, but if so, the response would be different.

But this factors in when forward biasing diodes for better low level response, such as detecting low RF voltages. Once you bias the diode, the will react to temperature, so you need another diode similarly biased but with no RF applied to it, to balance out the temperature response.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

** But in practice may be either.

Back to back zeners are very commonly used for anti-static protection plus for AC voltage limiting and clamping in all kinds of analogue circuitry.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Huh ?

Reply to
jurb6006

sure I have, after they get hammered a few times! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

What happens if you forward bias one? Thought ceases to exist? Or does it just disappear in a flash of logic?

I'll have to try it. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's why I said "Looks like" not "exactly absolutely identical"

Have you been bullied as a child? You know there is therapy for that, right?

Reply to
M. Hamed