Checking a transformer?

My brother has an amplifier to his stereo and it stopped working. There is nothing happening anywhere when its turned on. I took the on-off switch out and verified that it was working. I noticed 120v going into the transformer and 0 coming out. I checked the resistance to the secondary and it was 1.6-2.0 ohms. (There are several leads coming out the 2ndary). I wanted to see what y'all had to say before I told him to buy a new one. It seems obvious its bad but I've been wrong before. Ken

Reply to
clannorm

Check _all_ of the secondary windings, and check the resistance of
the primary.  If any of them are infinite, that winding\'s open and
you have a bad transformer.
Reply to
John Fields

I have often found a FUSE or Thermal Link buried in the first layer or winding, check for an Open winding on the primary side due to an open link or fuse before replacing the transformer . Check for a shorted diode or filter Capacitor as the cause of the open link.

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

did you check the input of the transformer? many have thermo protection wrapped up inside that just dont reset some times, give it a wack! it may help.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

"Jamie"

** Thermal protection *fuses* fitted inside transformers are almost never the self re-setting kind.

Like other fuses, they offer one time operation only.

Reply to
Phil Allison

well i have an amp sitting here in the shop that does have a reset able thermo breaker in the xformer and it now does not reset properly any more due to client not keeping the cabinets clean out and causing lots of heat build up. the unit also has fuses. this is one of a few in a rack at a bowling alley stuck back where they clean the shoe's, they get dust bunnies piles in the back of the rack once a week. those units were not designed to be tripped that often