CCTV Camera

Hello, please excuse this appalling explanation of things!

I had a 5-core cable for an exterior camera, this cable is now useless due to damage - so I bought a BNC and Power cable (see this link - links to a picture only:)

Wasn't that one exactly, but has those plugs - I bought mine from eBay. Anyway, in order to run the cable where needed I had to cut the plugs from one end - only to discover that this is only a

3-core cable. As far as I know, power requires positive and negative, as does the video = 4-cores. What this cable appears to be doing is:

Power = red (live) Audio = green (live) Power and audio = black (neutral)

I don't know if I have the terminology correct here (live/neutral) but hope it gets my point across.

Is this a safe way to wire a camera? I've actually done it and the camera works on 3-cores. The power adaptor is feeding 500mA, part of that is sharing with the camera-video-neutral.

Hopefully you can decode what I'm saying here!

Reply to
Desireless

Delivering power on the video line is typical. The DC can easily be stripped from the TV signal. Some cameras carry the audio separate and some as a composite signal. Some of the more modern units can do all with two wires. I suspect (???) that your setup is using DC on one wire and Vidio/Audio on another wire and a common ground (common). But I can't see your setup.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Yeah, that's exactly it DC (wire 1), Video (wire 2) and the common. I've left it running all night and there appears to be no issues, which is pretty cool.

Reply to
Desireless

Good

Reply to