car 12v phone chargers

Why do they take longer to charge than mt wall charger. The output of my wall charger is 5v. Seems like my car should be able to imitate that level. ?? Thanks Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Charging time will depend on the current and not the voltage. I'll guess that the 12V auto charger just has a linear regulator.. (not a switcher) and so to do (say) 1 amp at 5 Volts it would need to dissipate 7 or 8 watts... that's too much so they cut dwon the current.

Just a guess, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

They probably have a switcher these days - the really cheap crappy plastic case would deform with the heat from a dropper resistor inside.

even safe to use - I was going to pick one up to crack open to see what's in it, but they were out of stock and I don't go into town that often.

Reply to
Ian Field

my=20

=20

c=20

are=20

in=20

I needed a USB charger recently, and thought of buying one of those cheap= =20 small cubes. And I decided I wouldn't trust it (not the cheap kind)=20 unless I did open it, and then I decided I wasn't so curious that I'd want= =20 to buy the thing twice, one for looking and then another for actual use if= =20 it looked safe.

I admit they were cute and compact, but I just used a 5v AC adapter=20 (switching kind) that I'd pulled from somewhere, and wired on a USB jack I= =20 desoldered from a scrap motherboard. Not as neat, but I trust it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

The ones I've looked inside have some sort of DIP8 based switcher... I've not tested the max output current,

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

If you're that wary, build a breakout box to contain a SCR crowbar protection.

Reply to
Ian Field

A common type is the MC34063 - its actually hard to find versatile switcher chips that don't have UVLO at a lower voltage than you want to run it from.

charging connectors.

I'll crack it open for a look inside later.

Reply to
Ian Field