Capacitor voltage values

Let's say I need a cap that's 100uF, 10V.

Is there any issue with using a Cap with a bigger voltage rating? I would think no, it's just the maximum voltage that cap can tolerate (and possibly a tad more expensive).

Thanks.

Reply to
TVisitor

No technical reason a higher rated device will not work. The only reason people use only a small safety factor instead of a large one is size and cost.

In some cases, a higher rated unit also has some better characteristics, like higher ripple current rating or lower equivalent series resistance. Both if those improvements are directly related to the larger physical size of the higher voltage rated unit.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to