Capacitor V vs SV

What does SV mean on a capacitor? How does it differ from V?

Reply to
redaura

"redaura"

** Surge Voltage.

** Its a somewhat bigger voltage.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Which capacitor can handle a higher voltage, a capacitor rated at 300V or a capacitor rated at 300SV? If SV means surge volts that would lead me to believe that the maximum peak voltage before failure would be 300 volts. If that is true what is the peak voltage a capacitor rated for 300 volts can sustain?

Reply to
redaura

"redaura"

** Might be exactly the same.

The point is that normally BOTH figures are given.

The SV being about 10% higher.

** Nonsense.

SV alludes to a *short term* additional voltage the cap maker says the cap will accept repeatedly without excessive current draw - ie when equipment is first turned on.

** To be completely safe - 300 volts.

But most samples will accept a 10% overvoltage no problem at room temp.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for your explaination Phil. If you have two aluminum electrolytic capacitors, made by the same company, one capacitor is black and is labled "100uf 300V" and the other capacitor is grey and is labled "100uf 300SV" which capacitor is more likely to handle peak voltage better?

Reply to
redaura

"redaura"

** What a silly hypothetical.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hum...Phil, I don't know how to reword the hypothetical so that it meets your criteria for a serious question. But thank you for your help so far.

I have the black capacitor and the grey capacitor sitting on my desk and since I could not get Rubycon, the mfr to, explain the V vs. SV labling I felt a hypothetical describing the actual lables and the question I have was the best way to get the information I need.

My mistake.

Perhaps there is another expert on the list who understands both what I am asking and who won't think the question is silly.

Thanks for your help Phil.

Reply to
redaura

Well... The SV is an absolute maximum, while the V type can stand its voltage sustained. V's SV value must be equal or higher then its sustained voltage ,so it is equal or better then the SV one.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

"redaura"

( snip this cretin's mindless abuse)

** Fuck off - you imbecile.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Sojuke!

Reply to
redaura

"I'm springs your glue everything bad bounces off of me and sticks to you..." na, na na - na na

Reply to
redaura