Capacitor Tester

** There is no need for any such isolation the test voltage appearing across the electro is lower than any junction threshold.
** Complete bullshit.

Obviously Hobbs has never used one.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Which was my point. You can measure them essentially in isolation.

Do tell, go on, don't hold back now. ;)

Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Me too, great tool.

I dug out my ancient model today to check the caps in my burglar alarm, as currently being discussed in "Suppress transients on old burglar alarm". First use in years. But sadly it's broken. 'Error 5' on everything. I phoned Peak and they say at some point I must have applied

delivery). Last one purchased about 20 years ago so reckon I've had good value.

BTW, I don't think the Atlas reports ESR does it?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Peak is ripping people off bigtime.

The same thing from China can be bought for under $ 25 and just one of those will test the passive components and many solid state devices.

With Peak you have to buy two of them to do it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Stop right there! That comment about price applies to everything, not just ESR meters. China sells stuff for a fraction of the price of UK or US or German devices because their labour costs are a fraction of what they are in the West. Peak isn't ripping customers off; they have to pay their workers Western wages! I've bought some great stuff from China; I've also bought a lot of junk, too. It's a bit of a gamble. I'd sooner pay a bit extra and get something well-produced in a proper case with decent technical support a local phone call away than take a gamble on some unknown, uncased, undocumented contraption that takes 3 months to turn up!

Cursitor Doom

I would have to agree with you there. It is cheaper but at what cost? Some People seem to want to die for the second amendment and gun rights but are allowing China to take the country over with out a fight at all. Today Guns are useless its economies that are the weapons.

I purchased an item that was from China unknowingly on Amazon. It was produ ced by the Original manufacturer but for the Chinese market. I thought well this should be good. However, it turns out when you want support for it yo u must contact china NOT USA/Canada. They call it gray market and will not touch it. In fact if you try to install updates from N/A it will break it. And turn i t into Chinese language. So you must contact China, with bad language and poor support. I will never buy any anything but through N/A or perhaps Britain. I'm confused why we keep buying things from China, a country that is delibe rately try to over through our way of life like Russia and we keep shovelin g money at them via companies like Walmart. They are basically an arm of th e communists Chinese.

Any way just my stupid opinion.

Reply to
stevwolf58

** But not mine. A junction can be in *parallel* with the electro with no effect on ESR measurements. That is not isolation.
** Not only have you never used one, but you are stubbornly refusing to think the situation through.

What makes these meters SOOOO useful IS their ability to read ESR accurately while the cap IS left in circuit.

** Hunch confirmed.

** Piss off you pathetic troll.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Really, Phil, is that all you've got on tap?

You're slipping, mate.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The rip off is that Peak sells 2 devices , one for active and one for passive. They could just sell one device to do both.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

True, but a circuit's tolerance for ESR varies widely. A 100 uF with 5 ohms ESR might totally upset one but work fine in another.

The absolute cheapest way is to just get a test cap that is a low rating, s ay 22 or 33 uF at like 350 volts and bridge it across existing caps at the bottom of the board. totally hillibilly and don't forget to discharge i t e very time you use it in another place on the board. It also won't detect a short, but it did work for many years for me and many others.

Reply to
jurb6006

** Listen, you context shifting bloody idiot !!!.

An ESR test establishes the **condition** of a given electro cos the bastards have a LIMITED service life !!!!!!

A cap that tests 5 ohms ESR when it ought read 0.5 ohms is totally WORN OUT and needs immediate replacement before it stops working as a cap all together and/or spews electrolyte over the PCB and other components destroying them.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison