Capacitor-run induction motor windings

Hello,

I'm hoping to convert old household induction motors to brushless motors ba sically by replacing the rotor with magnets. However I'm having difficulty understanding the stator winding patterns. I need to isolate the phases obv iously. Any suggestions? Even if they are two phase instead of three phase, that is useful too.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Induction motors ARE brushless, of course. How would this conversion produce any benefit?

Reply to
whit3rd

Don't overthink it.

When you have the motor disassembled (a neccessary step if you intend to replace the rotor) place a compass inside the stator and apply a small DC current to each winding and observe the magnetisation pattern.

Jasen Betts

Good idea! Thanks! I'll try that once I disassemble the old garage door motor (capacitor-start, I think).

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Variable speed?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

A capacitor run motor will probably have two identical windings, they are in essence two phase motors with the capacitor providing the phase shift. A cap start motor, one with no run cap, will only have one winding energized during normal running. It will not have two identical windings. Single phase induction motors with a switching device and no cap will also not have two identical windings. So make sure you are starting with the kind of motor you want. Eric

Reply to
etpm