Cameras to laptop

I want to hook up several cameras to a laptop. If I use USB webcams I can write code to view and do security stuff. BTW the software is already written and running.

But the cable length is too limiting even with USB extension cables.

I have access to the USB cams and the built-in laptop cam just fine.

If I use video out cams CCTV what is the best way to get the video into the laptop such that it looks like a USB webcam?

Or an ethernet cam that has a ethernet to USB converter.

Or suggestions.

Thanks!

Reply to
BeeJ

I have a USB cam 70 feet from a mini-ITX PC; one 10 foot passive cable and two 30 foot active extenders, one of them outdoors. Works fine.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/CABIN.JPG

You can put a powered USB hub or two into the system, too.

John

There are video to USB converters - google dazzle

You can usually run the video cable long distances with no problems.

Reply to
news

Yeah, I use a mixture of USB and vid-to-USB connections, I've been through a few of them during testing and found KWorld was the least hassle:

(USB 2860 device) works well in Windows XP and Ubuntu.

Reply to
Desireless

even the 10m ones?

video-to-usb adaptors.

laptop doesn't have ethernet already?

usb-over-cat5

Have not seen these retail. Have not looked.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I'm not sure but aren't these USB1.1 only?

Reply to
Desireless

I tried this (only one time) - buying a repeater cable but it failed miserably for me, purchased from eBay - can you tell me what make your extenders are please? I'd like to try it again.

Reply to
Desireless

A dirt cheap four channel USB video capture card might do.

I have one identical to that one, works like a charm and is Linux supported. Just don't expect fast frame rates as the four inputs are multiplexed, not a big limitation for video surveillance purposes though.

Reply to
asdf

Yeah, but 13Mb/s should be fast enough for std resolution video. there may be a faster version out there somewhere.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Just on a side note, I was reading about USB 3.0 and it turns out the max (normal) length is no longer 5m, but 3. Bah!

Reply to
Desireless