Cables and Currents

Sorry I spoke backwards.. which happens a lot.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't get that. Vacuum conducts heat better than air? 0.5 mm of plastic conducts heat as well as 5 mm of air?

But it is complex. More insulation increases the radiation surface, which works against the T^4 radiation curve. And more insulation conducts heat out to the surface of a given radius, better than a vacuum gap would... depending on the thermal conductivity of the insulation. All that math is way past my pay grade.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think Phil is calculating the thermal conductivity of air, then equating that to some thermal loss from radiation in vac. But he has to pick some temperature rise... 1 deg K or something.

And the air number has to be for low temperature differences.. or convection kicks in...

Grin... right do the measurement and use that to check/adjust your math. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yup. In vacuo, the heat just radiates away into space, so any thickness of vacuum has the same thermal resistance, namely the derivative of the Stefan-Boltzmann law, i.e.

L = epsilon sigma T**4,

where epsilon is the thermal emissivity. Two parallel surfaces with different temperatures will exhibit a power transfer per unit area of

Delta L = epsilon_1 epsilon_2 sigma (T_1**4 - T_2**4),

which for small delta-T is

alpha = dL/dT = 4 epsilon_1 epsilon_2 sigma T**3.

It's modified some by the thermal emissivity of the emitter and surroundings.

That's how superinsulation works--you have many layers of metallized Kapton, spaced out so that they don't touch. Works great, but it's an absolute bear to bake out--all that surface area, the constricted space for gas to diffuse out, and the superior insulation making it hard to get it all hot.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs