Cable Modem Help

We have Suddenlink in Truckee, cable TV and internet, but there's an ongoing problem:

Squirrels eat the cables. That doesn't sound very appetizing to me.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Dropout every time a cloud rolls by (not quite that bad, but...). They promised that they could fix that but never did. Surly representatives. Charging for the repair of *their* equipment. Cost. There wasn't much to recommend them, other than they were the only game in town (had similar issues with DISH at the previous house).

Reply to
krw

In the NYC area I can't seem to get any option for data without a phone line and its taxes.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You are right the sales man should be on youre side after all he or she is trying to make a sale. I find the worst sales staff is at best buy in my area any ways and Wal-Mart. its funny when you show them a print out off the company's own web site saying the features ect and they say oh well that must be the online model:) now i just go find what i want and buy it. but to be fair there are a lot of knowledgeable sales staff in both stores to AT TIMES:)

Reply to
Andy

Verizon is my area is wireless only now for about 10 years. sold it's land line business to Fair Point Commutations. I still use a POTS land line as time warner cable aka spectrum's digital phone service works 90% of the time the rest is system maintenance with no warnings. or just goes down when it feels like it. I told them when digital phone is 100% reliable like fair point's service is then we can talk. I am looking at a deal from Verizon wireless for its version of digital phone for $19.95 a month unlimited use and FREE long distance. its a phone modem like time warner cables BUT unlike timewarner cables it has a 5 Day BATTERY BACK UP built in. twc does not seem to care its losing its subscribers to Verizon big time in Maine any way:) the same day. A couple of times

Reply to
Andy

I tell them NO THANKS my land lord DOES NOT ALLOW SATELLITE TV in his buildings:) shuts them up fast. I talked to one i feel bad for them they are paied well but are told to try to sell sell to every one that walks past them. I could not do it 8 hours a day 5 days a week not for a service i don't believe in.

Reply to
Andy

Works fine in some areas ken. in my area i hear complaints about them all the time. one of my friends just dumped them for time warner cable and he gets the same channels and his digital phone and internet with more speed then direct TV for over 100 bucks less.

What don't you like about Direct TV? I've been using them for the last few months, and so far they've been fine.

Reply to
Andy

The second part of youre post Phil was not mine i was replying to the original poster my post ends after the talk about channel bonding. when you see the same hear that is the other posters reply to mine:) I have a nice netgear wireless router but at present i don't use it. when i get around to it ill hook it up and use for my lap top:)

Reply to
Andy

Andy pretended :

That experience was at "Staples" which I already knew were less than completely savvy. They were pretty helpful on the sales end though. I was a bit surprised when the saleman told us on the 'down low' that we could get the warranty and if the computer broke, even trivially, we could run it over with our car and they would completely replace it with no questions asked.

Could I get that in writing? LOL

Reply to
FromTheRafters
[snip]

I used to have DTV. One of the main reasons I quit was the very poor customer service. One of the last times I contacted them was to say the problem was fixed (finally, and probably not because I contacted them). They responded to that by messing up my online account AGAIN. Once when I called about the new HD DVR, the "customer service representative" asked my how many mushrooms are on my dish.

As to cable modems, I agree that the modem should be separate from a router/Wifi device. One reason is that the modem really belongs to the ISP (even if you bought it) and the router is a part of YOUR network and you should have control over it. I wouldn't expect to be able to put DD-WRT on one of those combinations.

--
80 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The cosmos is interesting rather than perfect, and everything is not
part of some greater plan, nor is all necessarily under control."
[Starhawk]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Ironic, given all of the times that you bragged about TWC service in Maine being the best in the country, rock solid, zero outages, etc.

You could probably do a whole lot better by picking up a cheap ATA, such as an Obi-100 or Ooma, then using Google Voice which is free and includes unlimited free domestic long distance.

--

Char Jackson
Reply to

Hanbury Brown had a similar problem with birds in the Outback. His solution was to wrap the cables in roofing felt. YMMV.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As I said, I've had only a little experience with them, but I've never had a problem anything like that. The only dropout we've had was for about ten minutes during a severe thunderstorm.

I've had no experience with either (except for the man who installed it, and he was very pleasant and helpful).

Our only alternative is Comcast, and they are substantially less expensive than Comcast.

Reply to
Ken Blake

Are you comparing teaser rates to normal rates? AT&T was about the same price as DTV but includes Internet. DSL was more than $50/mo and while neither is perfectly reliable, the fiber is better and 50x faster than DSL.

Reply to
krw

.

I use a cable modem (Comcast) to router (D-Link) with WIFI but wired to PC (approx 75Meg thru-put from Comcast). Two people in house with cell phones on two different networks so we only lose it if both networks goes down. Ha s worked for 4 years with no total lose of service as of yet except when in ept city workers tear down cable line with a knuckle boom (twice in 5 month s).

Reply to
Ron M.

I do not think that there are any "teaser" rates; now advertized rates is anther story. Those are always bullshit, since all of the taxes and fees are studiously not included. Actual cost is always about double the ad rates.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You're wrong, of course.

Irrelevant.

No.

Reply to
krw

Dew tell; give *one* verifiable example.

EVERY ad i have seen: throw-away fliers (Comcast,Dish) in mailbox, ads from provider (Comcast in my case), newspaper blow-in ads, etc wave banners about "ONLY" blah blah and 6 point multi-liner that talks about (BUT NO QUOTES) taxes, fees, installation, etc. Give us an example where the rate quoted is correct (or even in the ballpark).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have tried to ask about the fees and "taxes" and been told they don't know, seems the billing computer is the only entity that actually knows the amount of taxes. Once when I called to ask about the quarterly billed "franchise fee" and who it was going to, I was told they didn't know and I would have to ask my franchise contact.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Dude! When you top post, you have no justification for complaining how quotes of your messages show up. I can't believe you have made so many posts here and no one has pointed that out to you...

--

Rick C
Reply to