Bifilar inductor?

What is that???

--
 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Looks like a home made attempt at a non-inductive wire-wound power resistor?

Cursitor Doom

Yes. It's manganin wire, my home-made non-inductive low-TC pulse-power load for NMR gradient drivers.

lunatic fringe electronics

I have about 300 files in my computer concerning coupled inductors, they're all the rage these days. Most providers, and there are many, use the term coupled inductor. Your DRQ supplier, SRF and a few others call them "dual winding." TI and other app note writers call them coupled inductors. Both Coilcraft and Coilmaster, who have piles of offerings, call them coupled inductors. Ditto Vishay and Wurth. Published peer-reviewed papers say coupled inductors.

If you want to search for them, coupled inductors is the phrase. Octopart comes up with about 1500 parts that way, but only 184 searching for dual winding. Of course, they're all the same bifilar wound stuff, but that search term gets zero hits at Octopart. And the O.P's title, bifilar inductor, gets only 5 hits.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Digikey lists the DRQ series under category "Arrays, Signal Transformers" which is a bit strange.

The Eaton data sheet calls them "Dual winding, high power density, shielded drum core power inductors"

Bourns calls the SRF series "Dual-winding shielded power inductors"

We stock them in the "transformers" category.

lunatic fringe electronics

Hah, three sets off. I know Eaton and Bourns are in left field about this, even though I like the Bourns offerings. Eaton's series has lots of nice physical sizes. I've long avoided calling them transformers, as transformers generally have cores without gaps, and the magnetizing energy stored in the primary's inductance is a pain, rather than part of the work underway. A complete contrast to coupled inductors, where the energy stored in the inductance is a main part of the idea, and the coupled winding grabs it for the purpose at hand.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

What about a flyback transformer? They are usually gapped.

Wound magnetic things, and their circuits, are hard to describe in words, so I don't worry much over it. I certainly don't want somebody's words to tell me what I can/can't do with a part.

I like "dual inductor" because it tells me there are two windings. Some things have three or more.

lunatic fringe electronics

Hah, Well, I think we ran this topic into the ground. It started when somebody typed sci.electronics.basics w/o the s. Sheesh!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win