battery power supply

I would like to build a portable power supply for a 11" digital picture frame. The 9volt supply would need to last 6 hours, Would I be better off with 9 volt batteries tied together or use 1.5 volt batteries tied together?

Reply to
osbo47

You will need to measure the current that the picture frame draws from the 9 volt battery before an estimate can be made.

Reply to
Lord Garth

I'd go with 6 cells. How big will depend on how much current you need. You might also use three 3-volt rechargeable lithum cells; the one in my cellphone is rated at 1 amp-hour, which would be massive overkill for your application.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

Not likely. Here are the specs for a battery pack from Aluratek, Inc for an

11" frame:

quote === quote === quote === Up to 2 hours of run time Compatible with 9V and 12V digital photo frames Easily mounts to the back of the frame

5 interchangeable tips to ensure a correct match to your frame Power your digital frame anywhere, anytime Included AC adapter for easy charging Rated capacity 16.6 WH Limited 1 year warranty quote === quote === quote ===

I'm guessing they meant 16.6AH. So, your 9V battery would last about 30 seconds... ;)

The link for the battery pack is here, in case you want to buy one:

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Bob Monsen

Did you look at the size of that battery pack? It is way to small to be 16.6AH at 12 or even 9 volts. If it is as they say 16.6WH, at 12V that would be 1383mAh which seems about right for the size of the pack and it would have to use lithium batteries to have that capacity and be that small. So if the OP's photo frame would last 2 hours on this pack, it should last almost 4 hours on a single set of 2700mah rechargeable AA NiMH cells that are commonly available. If changing the battery part way through his 6 hours is acceptable then he can just make 2 packs, if not build 2 packs and hook them together in parallel.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.
http://hrrdb.com
Reply to
Chris W

Ditto,I have a 17AH SLA,and it's bigger than the whole damn frame,prolly weighs about 50x as much also. Get some decent Nicd/Nimh cells,and a charger.

Reply to
PhattyMo